Romancing the Book's Reviews > J'adore New York

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in September, 2011

Reviewed By:Jen
Review Copy Provided By: Book Sparks PR
When BookSparks PR approached me about featuring J'adore New York, I was intrigued. It's not my normal sort of read and I'm not typically drawn to chick-lit but something about this book made me want to read it and not just pass on by.

I think what caught my eye was that this story is told from the point of view of a french woman, Catherine, who has transferred to New York to practice law. She is thrown into a cutthroat world of office politics, fashion, society parties and romance. Sounds... fun.

While I liked Catherine and her assistant, Rikash, I could have done without most of the other characters in the story. Catherine's co-workers are all insane, her "friends" are all snobs and her romance isn't quite what it seems. I felt so sorry for Catherine and hoped and prayed that i the end something good would happen to her. I wish there were more scenes with Rikash as they were highlights for me.

The book was an interesting look into the world of law. Long hours, hard work, backstabbing... makes me thankful I decided not to pursue a career in law (I would have been chewed up and spit out). However, at times the legal jargon got to be too much for me. I found myself starting to skim when the legalese started and had to force myself to stop.

But all that said, for a debut novel, Ms Laflèche has created a solid story. Fan of chick-lit might get more out of it than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read J'adore New York.