BarbaraNathalie's Reviews > The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers

The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein

F_50x66
Oct 31, 11

Read in November, 2007

Although I am not Jewish, I have been reading books about them since I was eight years old. I have read many historical pieces and memoirs dealing with the holocaust. When I read The Invisible Wall in 2007, I was introduced to another area where differences among people cause pain, heartache, and disadvantage in the world. In a poor part of England, it is sad that people don't find ways to help each overcome the "stuff" in their environment to make a better life for everyone.

However, that is the way of the world. I've read that 2000 years ago, people tried to follow the teachings of a wise man who taught them to love one another. He didn't say love anyone who believes or follows me. He said love your neighbor as yourself. Yet in Harry Berstein's book as in many, many other stories of division, too many people all over the world chastise one another for their beliefs or for what their forefathers and foremothers believed. It is almost impossible to imagine a world where people are respected for being alive and trying to do positive things in their lives.

In many ways, in some parts of the world, people are making steps so that the young, the disenfrachised, the uneducated can have a chance in a better world. As I read this book, I thought about things that I do or have done that isolates other people.

One reviewer mentioned that Harry may not remember all the details, that he may have embellished his story because it was so long ago. Even if something happened a week ago, it is interpreted as we feel it. I think Mr. Berstein definitely remembered how he felt, and that is what most of us remember when we tell a story from our lives. A beautifully written story of remembrance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Wall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Corinne (new)

Corinne  E. Blackmer Dear Barbara,
I loved this book, and am glad you found your way to it. Yes, if we were following the teachings of Moses and Jesus we would be human beings, instead of the sub-humans we have often or sometimes shown ourselves to be. Like you, I expect honesty and humanity from people. By the way, I have two Holocaust-related books to recommend to you (you might have read them, but I esteem them highly so, just in case . . . ) Survival in Auschwitz and G.W. Sebold's Austerlitz. The latter is difficult in parts but once you get into it it is the most amazing and affecting book almost ever.

BarbaraNathalie Is Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi? if so, I have read it. Thanks for the tips. I will look into both books. Have you heard of The Last Girl by Stephan Collishaw? I read it a month or so ago. I don't know if the author is Jewish but the book is beautifully written and is a modern day story of a look back at an event in the main character's life.

Barbara

message 3: by Corinne (new)

Corinne  E. Blackmer Yes, it's the one by Primo Levi. You are well educated in the field of Holocaust literature and history. I haven't read Collingshaw's The Last Girl but I am putting it on my list.

Stitchenmama I loved Harry Bernsteins books, and have enjoyed other Jewish books as well. I will have to check out the ones mentioned. Have either of you read MANS SEARCH FOR MEANING? By victor frankel? Excellent, a must read!