Jo's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: good-grief, boy-crush, gorgeous-prose, heart-skipped-a-beat, my-favourites, of-epic-proportions, soul-sister-heroine, when-can-i-move-in, ya
Recommended to Jo by: Catie
Read from December 13 to 16, 2011

Oh my god.

Honest to goodness spoiler lies within.

(view spoiler)

And if that isn't the most perfect, gut-wrenching way to finish a book, I don't know what is.

I'm not sure if I can even write a review for this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

12/13/2011 page 34
9.0% "You guys should see my face right now. :-O Ms Whalen Turner sure doesn't like you to get too comfy before she yanks the rug out from under you, does she?!" 4 comments
12/13/2011 page 122
34.0% ""I can steal anything," Eugenides corrected. :-D" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie Yeah! This book is so brilliant. I just had to send it to you.

Angie LIKE. Like, like, like, like, like!

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo You should see my face Angie! I finished it about half an hour ago and I'm still like :-O

That part in the cave! :-| I'm pretty sure you could have taken the chair out from under me and I'd still be stuck in the same position... so tense.

Angie Oh my WORD. The cave. And Attolia on her throne while Gen's in the room. With the windows . . . *incoherentbabbling*

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo (view spoiler)

*joins in with the incoherent babbling*
I love how subtle it is.
There are huge chunks of this book where absolutely nothing is said but just the actions say more than words ever could.... gaaaaaahhh.

Amy (Turn the Page) I need to read this series...

Angie Jo, exactly. The subtlety blows me away. I adore a book that doesn't write down to you but expects you to step up and, you know, be smart and work for it. And we've said it already, but there will never be an ending like that one again. gaaaaaaaah.

Amy, you do. You really do.

message 8: by Jo (last edited Dec 16, 2011 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I completely agree. And boy did we have to work for it! My heart was hammering so fast from about half way through.

Yes Amy! Do it now! :-D

Catie I love how she can write only a few brief lines of dialogue or action or ANYTHING and convey so much. It's like concentrated writing. The next two are just as amazing! AND, she never stops surprising you!

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Oh gosh, I don't think I can handle any more surprises.

THE one in this book nearly gave me a heart attack.

Catie That last line just about breaks my heart, because that's the hardest thing for her to do, isn't it? GAH. This book is one of my favorites on earth.

Angie Oh, I couldn't believe it. I lost my hold on the book and had to read it again to make sure I'd read it right. But Catie's right, you won't believe how good KING is.

message 13: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I definitely think these books are ones you need to read again and again.

I bet you find little clues hidden in it to hint what's about to happen.

Aaaaahhhh. I wish I had King right now. I'm supposed to be being good and not buying any more books.
*frets*

Angie Clues abound!

Amy (Turn the Page) Well that settles it. Book 1 will probably by one of the books I buy with my Christmas Book Vouchers (you know I'm going to get them lol)

message 16: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo That makes me so happy.

I thought the first book was 'meh' until the last few chapters and then it pretty much blew my mind.

It's so fantastic, I hope you love them Amy.

message 17: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Loved the ending lines, too!