Holden Attradies's Reviews > Essential Thor Volume 1

Nov 21, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: sequential-art, fiction, super-heroes
Read from October 31 to November 21, 2011 , read count: 1

Like all of the really early Marvel stuff this was kind of hard to get through at times. For being a comic it's amazing how word heavy they were back then, although I enjoy being able to compare that to newer stuff and being able to really appreciate how far the medium has come. I have to say though, the first half of this seemed to go even slower than normal. I'm not sure why... it could be that Thor isn't really a character that I hold dear to my heart, or it could be that the stories in there seemed kind of un-marvel-ish (they were repetitive and had little carry over story wise).

About halfway through the volume things picked up and felt much better. I actually found my self getting really into it. Even though I found the secret identity a little bleh, I enjoyed the Thor personality.

So in short, if you can push through the first half it is worth reading, although unlike most of the early Marvel Essentials I didn't feel like there was too much essential marvel history here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essential Thor Volume 1.