Evelyn's Reviews > Fast Times in Palestine

Fast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. Olson

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir-and-biographies, palestine, politics, current-affairs, first-reads, goodreads-giveaways, all-time-favourites, read-in-2011
Read from October 31 to December 05, 2011

An extraordinary memoir of the author's time in Palestine, which reads like a part-diary, part-history, part-political, part- travel survival guide. Like many in the West, I've been largely oblivious to the horrors of what goes on in the 'Occupied Territories' and this book tells it like it is, warts and all. To live under such oppression and violence is unimaginable for me, but this book illustrates it quite clearly in a way that anyone can relate and understand to some degree. Fast Times In Palestine is obviously a difficult and highly emotional book to read and there were countless times where I could only read a few pages at a time and I had to put it down. Reading accounts of mindless shootings of children by Israeli soldiers, women being forced to give birth at checkpoints because some soldier just felt like not letting them through, the house raids, bombings, the ever present and ominous Wall, livelihoods and futures being destroyed, it all takes it toll but it's an important account that needs to be read by as many people as possible.

As well as the simply atrocious things that happen and continue to happen, the book also illustrates the kindness, the hospitality and the sheer will to carry on living a normal life, by the Palestinians. With this, we are also greeted with descriptions of beautiful surroundings and delicious food.

I would recommend this book as a starting point to anyone interested in Palestine. I only hope that one day the Palestinian people will have the freedom that we in the West take for granted. #peaceforpalestine
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Times in Palestine.