Brenda's Reviews > The Next Always

The Next Always by Nora Roberts
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Always.

Quotes Brenda Liked

Nora Roberts
“Couples take care of each other, Clare, that's what makes them a couple. And couples tell each other when something happens that scares them.”

Nora Roberts
“You're the woman in my life,” he said. “Another thing about me and my brothers? We look after the women in our lives. We don't know any other way.”

Nora Roberts
“You got used to running things on your own."
"What could he do about it when he's in Iraq and the car breaks down in Kansas?"
Beckett gave her a long, quiet look. "I'm not in Iraq."
"No, and it has to be said, I'm not in Kansas anymore." She lifted her hands, then let them fall. "It's not that I've forgotten how to be a couple, but that my experience in being part of one is different from yours. Maybe from most people's. And I've been on my own a long time."
"Now you're not. I'm not fighting a war, and I'm right here." Needed to be here, he realized, with her.”

Nora Roberts
“I'm messing this up. I love you. I should've started with that. I swear I trip up more with you than anybody. I love you, Clare. I always did, but it's different loving who you are now. It's so damn solid. You're so solid, so steady, strong, smart. I love who you are, how you are. I love those boys, you have to know.”

Nora Roberts
“Told you not to tell her.”

“That's not how I work things. That's not how you build a relationship.”

“Build a relationship.” Ryder snorted as he sent the drill whirling again. “You've been reading again.”

“Blow me.”

Nora Roberts
“So, you’re hitting on Clare the Fair.”

“I’m not hitting on her. I’m exploring the possibility of seeing her on social terms.”

“He’s hitting on her,” Owen said around a mouthful of chips. “You’ve still got that thing you had for her back in high school. Are you still writing bad song lyrics about heartbreak?”

“Suck me. And they weren’t that bad.”

“Yeah, they were,” Ryder disagreed. “But at least now we don’t have to listen to you playing your keyboard and howling them down the hall.”

Nora Roberts
“Men are boys in bigger packages.”