Trevor Acy's Reviews > Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job

Quitter by Jon Acuff

Jun 19, 13

Recommended to Trevor by: Sara Hudson
Recommended for: Sara H., Jonnie H., Kate J., Addie K.
Read from May 29 to June 15, 2012

The subtitle of this book may lead you to believe that it is a step by step "How To" guide and in some very general ways it is... kind of. But mostly this book deals with why a lot more than how.

Acuff's first piece of advice is one I could not agree with more. It is a philosophy that I believe not only applies to pursuing your dream job, but just about everything. That is to go slow. Take your time. Slow and steady wins the race (remember the turtle and his impressive upset over the hare?). So the first thing Acuff says, which is counter to the title, is not to quit your day job. He then goes on to explain how a steady day job, even if you don't love it, helps you accomplish your dream job.
After that there are some good steps in the how to department but I think some of them tend more toward the dream job of being a writer (like Acuff) than all dream jobs; it's still good information regardless.
Considering that his dream job and mine are very similar (writing, motivation, development, Dave Ramsey) I probably have some bias but I can honestly say that I like Acuff more after reading this book than I did before. He punctuates the heavy material of the book with light humor sprinkled throughout. Some of it falls flat but it also helps to keep the mood light and remind you to not take yourself too seriously. I also appreciate that he debunks the "jumping out on faith" myth of success. Success more often than not is the reward of hours upon hours of hard work; it does not come to you overnight by chance.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quitter.

05/30/2012 page 55
21.0% "I put off reading this because Acuff isn't my favorite speaker. Now I'm kicking myself for it seems he wrote this book to me."
06/04/2012 page 87
34.0% "That chapter hurt. Acuff pretty much tore down every excuse I've used to stay miserable instead of work toward my dream."
06/09/2012 page 171
67.0% "There Will Be Hustle. Great chapter and title!"
06/15/2013 marked as: currently-reading