Kelly's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Feb 01, 12

Read from January 21 to February 01, 2012

We’ve all read the Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe. But have you ever wondered what kind of state the world would have to be in for such a tale to take place?
In Bethany Griffin’s gripping novel (which shares its title with Poe’s story) we are swept into the inner-workings of a bleak realm. The world has been devestated by a fierce contagion. Everyone must wear masks. Everyone is at risk.
I adored this novel and I’m still reeling from the last few chapters especially. Part Steampunk, part dystopian and part romantic intrigue, it’s the absolute best of all three worlds. And despite the presence of two SUPREMELY hot guys, I think my most favorite aspect of Masque is its wonderfully complex, heartrending and compelling heroine—Araby.
Shift this one to the top of your to-read stack when it hits the shelf YA readers and Poe fans. It is not to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela I love that authors are just regular people. I can't wait either!

message 2: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I just read Poes original version online real quick. Me being 14, I had some trouble understanding and processing it. Eventually I finished, and though I admit I wasnt able to fully grasp the whole snippet, what I did understand was quite intense and eerie. You cant expect any less from Poe huh? :) Very interesting and I would love to read this YA version. Hopefully it can help me understand the original better.

Vicki Starting it now & I totally love anything that has a Kelly Creagh recommendation backing it!! W00t!