Dave's Reviews > The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America

The Ten-Cent Plague by David Hajdu

May 25, 08

Hajdu covers the the history of comic books from the very beginning (before they were books even and were basically paneled cartoons in the newspapers)all the way up through to their heyday in the 40's and early 50's. When comic books had a mild resurgence in the 60's it was through super-hero titles mainly--I didn't even know there were so many other kinds of books in the past.
Although Hajdu does a great job of discussing developments in this industry and how certain conservative elements of mainstream society basically destroyed it, he doesn't really analyze how the "Great Comic-Book Scare...Changed America."The book ends where the censorship programs really take affect.
He doesn't mention this, but I think every generation has a scapegoat from popular culture to blame for corrupting its youth. Be it jazz, movies, rock and roll, or video games, it is something thought to have the power to destroy the morals of our kids. It's strange to think that comic books were once thought to be that influential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten-Cent Plague.