chris tervit's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Nov 08, 11

Read in October, 2011

The recent 2011 Man Booker winner! I was lucky enough to be given this along with all the other shortlisted books from the wonderful Lamballans!
Its been quite a while since I have read a book and then recommended it to so many people and thought about it for such a long time after reading. I loved the themes of memory & history even if I struggle with some of the unresolved issues and unanswerable questions.
I really enjoyed his writing style especially in the 'first half'. Some sentences are so rich you want to read them again straight away. The brevity of the novel is great too- it makes it less daunting and yet it deals with big topics.
It reminded me of 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan in its length & writing, & some of the themes about history (and truth of) in 'The Secret Scripture' by Sebastian Barry- both books I loved.
I would definitely be tempted to read other books by this author.
'The Sense of an Ending' is one of those books you want others to read & then have a good old discussion about 'cos there are many different possible conclusions & interpretations.
The narrator admits to his unreliable memory but we just dont know how much truth there is in what he tells us.
I wont say anymore but if anyone finishes this & wants to chat about it -give me a call!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graeme (new)

Graeme sounds like an ideal bookgroup book!

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hmm, I wasn't enamoured by On Chesil Beach although unfair as I didn't read much of it as thought style not to my liking. I wonder if I'd feel like this about this bk!