Jade's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from October 31 to November 01, 2011

Erm this book was a bit weird to be honest. I couldn't quite get the storyline...in the end I think I'll settle for a war-time romance? Anyway, it follows a 15yr old girl who moves to England on the instructions of her father and begins an illicit love affair with her 14yr old cousin(!)....he also smokes and drives. So, in my opinion I wasn't too impressed with the intro. What follows is that after falling in love with her new family, a completely new concept to her, WW3 gets underway and she loses most of them again.

There are some well written horrific and beautiful moments in the middle of the novel for which I cried my heart out. Also, Rosoff's narrative through the perspective of Daisy was insightful to my pre-conditioned adult mind. However, the narrative itself didn't flow for me. There were whole paragraph's were Daisy barely draws breath, and I just found it annoying to read.

I also couldn't connect with some of the decisions that Rosoff made. Fine Edmound is 'beyond his years', but have him picking Daisy up from the airport and crashing through exit barriers just made it unbelievable for me - are we that out of it in England that our children are allowed to drive around recklessly without anyone noticing? Also, I didn't get why the whole family had this 'mind connection'. Nice addition, but it didn't really give anything to the story as it was never explained.

So there you go....read it you want, it only took me a day, but if you don't I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.