Abigail Hartman's Reviews > Murder at the Vicarage

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read on October 01, 2011, read count: 2

I'm not a huge fan of Miss Marple - I prefer Superintendent Battle and Tommy and Tuppence - but I enjoyed this book because she doesn't narrate it. I did not manage to solve the murder (either time I read it - how sad), although I picked up on some clues, but it is possible to do so; Christie gives you all the necessary facts. As a side note, the fact that the narrator is a vicar brings the state of the Anglican Church sadly to life and can be depressing and irritating. One interchange I did find profound was between Colonel Protheroe, a harsh disciplinarian, and the narrator.

"Well, I'm a just man. No one can deny that."

I did not speak, and he said sharply:

"Why don't you answer? A penny for your thoughts, man."

I hesitated, then decided to speak. "I was thinking," I said, "that when my time comes, I should be sorry if the only plea I had to offer was that of justice. Because it might mean that only justice would be meted out to me..."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Vicarage.

Quotes Abigail Liked

Agatha Christie
“I was thinking, that when my time comes, I should be sorry if the only plea I had to offer was that of justice. Because it might mean that only justice would be meted out to me.”
Agatha Christie, Murder at the Vicarage