Katie Anderson's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

F 50x66
Oct 31, 11

I really enjoyed reading this historical fiction chapter book. "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" is about a 1930's African American family living in Mississippi during a time when racial segregation was accepted and there was a great prejudice against blacks. The book is about how African American family faces many challenges and endures many hard times just because of the color of their skin. The first hardship that the children have to face is having to walk to school everyday when the white children had buses that were provided for them. This is the start of a series of events that the children have to go through in order to see the importance of family and loving one another at the end of the novel. At the end of the book their land catches on fire and both white and black people come together to try and set out the remaining of the fire. This was a big turning point in the storyline because it shows the two races coming together to work for the same cause rather that working against each other like they had been in the book. I think this is a great book for children to read for a couple reasons. One being that it gives a realistic sense of how that time period was, one that allows the students to walk in the shows of the main charter, Cassie, and see what she went through, and one being that it does not "sugar coat" anything. It gives the events like it happened and it allows the reader to feel the pain and joy with the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.