Micki 's Reviews > Ghosts I Have Been

Ghosts I Have Been by Richard Peck

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in October, 2011

An oldie from my childhood which I just finished re-reading this October -- great timing, because it begins on Halloween . . . .

Excellent, and now I remember why I hung onto this so long. I was ghost crazy as a kid, and adored witches, and this book certainly filled the bill. Blossom Culp, social outcast and "a girl with powers" tells her early 20th-century story in the first person voice. Growing up in a small town like Blossom, I loved the echoes this had in my own life.

I was very worried that the book wouldn't age well, but even as an adult, it's still a good (and amusing) read. The humor is still there, and even though Blossom is one of those "loner girls without a friend in the world" she never turns into a whiny heroine. The first person voice is amazing. And while the plot turns on something a little bit far-fetched, I've read much worse in books for adults.

Still love it. Would recommend it for even adults. There is a paedophile villian, but it's not too creepy, and he gets his comeuppance. One thing I didn't realize as a kid was that this was part of a series . . . I may have to look for the others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts I Have Been.