Riccarla Roman's Reviews > Why Mermaids Sing

Why Mermaids Sing by C.S. Harris

F_50x66
Oct 30, 11

Read in October, 2011

I could not put this book down. This is the second book of this series that I have read (chronologically it is the third book) Sebastian St. Cyr is a great hero - completely heroic yet flawed. This time the mystery is about young men whose murdered, mutilated bodies are showing up in public places. One of the bodies was found towards the end of the previous book. For a moment, I thought it had to with the case he was on, but when it wasn't mentioned again, I wondered if it would turn up later. It did. And Viscount Devlin is out to find the connection. It leads to a John Donne poem and the sins of the fathers. The reason for the deaths of these particular young men is so horrendous that their fathers would prefer to bury their sons and forget it, rather than have the truth exposed.
Paralleling the investigation is the relationship of Devlin and Kat. Her secret is about to come out, one that would make Devlin hate her. As it turns out, the secret that does come out is even more scandalous and would ruin all involved. Yet as with the truth about his mother, it is hinted that perhaps some of this truth was twisted.
I like the way the author solves the murder yet drops a few hints along the way about the next book. I look forward to seeing Devlin and his friends (Kat, Tom, his great aunt) and his enemies (Jarvis, the establishment) and the ones we're not sure about (his father, his sister, Hope Jarvis). I know that I will interested, intrigued, and incensed that I didn't figure it out first. This is a great series to get hooked on.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Mermaids Sing.