Lizzie's Reviews > Feet of Clay

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

Dec 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, evan-s, recurring-characters, fantasy-or-something, own
Read from October 04 to 21, 2012

First of all this is one of my least favorite book covers of all time. I apologize, but it makes me feel like I'm holding a book about blackface on the subway. I could not wait to stop reading it in public. This art isn't even that old! It's bad.

Anyway. I read a whole 600 page novel before coming back to review this. I guess that is relative to my enthusiasm. Because, I liked it! I didn't... hate it! So these are good things. I read it pretty slowly, though Men at Arms gave me some real boredom, and this just gave me a little flustration. (Precision through fake words.) They get the same rating, but the books had really better keep getting better.

Partly the problem is that I continue to just like three of the characters, and the book is about at least nine of the characters. What to do but be patient? It would be so much fun if the parts with the people I liked (Vimes, Carrot, Angua, obviously) took up 80% of the book, but they don't, so I wait it out. Wait through Detritus being dull and Nobby being gross and Colon being dumb -- sometimes funny -- and the mystery being un-mysterious. It hardly mattered that it was a mystery. Golems are a pretty interesting choice of legendary creature to plop into a story like this, but I just really didn't care. The rest of the plot -- someone's poisoning the Patrician, Angua wants to leave, Nobby is fake royalty -- just didn't feel strong. Sadly, regretfully, sorry.

Cheery is cute. And the Patrician's zings can be funny. I love the heraldic animals. But mostly I just wished for the story to stop so Vimes could be cranky, Carrot could be blunt and strong, and Angua could be cagey but cool. It's like I need to watch a later season when they're more in their element. That's fine. I suppose I'll read the fourth next, though I've been warned it's not the best one. Last time I skipped one, I regretted it. I think I will just take a break from the Watch, but I know I'll be back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feet of Clay.

10/16/2012 page 209
54.0% "When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know that you can do it in a whisper."
show 1 hidden update…