Whitney Henkel's Reviews > American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

F_50x66
Nov 03, 11

After reading it a second time:

It is really easy to get into the mindset that graphic novels don't have very much value since we connect them with comic books that let's face it, we all associate with the geeky nerds. While in my first reading I didn't completely dismiss it, I feel like I didn't do it justice. There are so many good ideas presented in it that I had missed the first time and just like other types of literature there are things that are contained within it that are easy to miss, but add greatly to the theme and message of what is going on. Those who read just have to have both their literary and artistic caps on as they analyze both the text and the images that accompany them since both are important. I think that this would be a great tool in the classroom and most teens would probably enjoy this story.

My first Reading:

I'm not really a fan of graphic novels. I like to be able to picture on my own and graphic novels don't allow me to do that since they have the pictures that tell the story too. I was pleasantly surprised in reading this one though. The story was interesting and I thought it was a really great way to teach a good idea. I couldn't help but think as I was reading it too, that graphic novels would be perfect to introduce a reluctant reader to the joys of reading. They would also work for teenagers who don't have the patience to read other longer novels. I was defintely pleasantly surprised by this graphic novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.