Jess Scott's Reviews > Fusion

Fusion by Maria Savva

May 09, 12

I don't judge books totally by their cover, though I have to say that I really appreciate the thought that goes behind Maria Savva's book covers. For the longest time, I thought the cover of 'Fusion' was a photo of a white flower against a black background. I've only just realised "what the picture is, really," and how the black and white tones in the photo seem to be a "seamless fusion."

I was initially surprised and intrigued with the table of contents (feat. 22 stories). I assumed that they'd be of 'flash fiction' length (i.e. short short stories), which I've always enjoyed reading because there tends to be focus in a well-written short piece (as opposed to long novels with a lot of filler text).

I found the writing style to be very clean and sharp, which made for easy reading, which reminded me of the following quote from Nathaniel Hawthorne: "easy reading is damn hard writing."

There were very, very nice twists to certain stories, and I liked the scope of the stories. Seemingly ordinary people in ordinary circumstances, yet with a profound simplicity that can escape us as we hurtle on in our "technologically advanced" age where speed and new things seem to matter above all else.

Ms. Savva's work is original and personal, and individualistic yet 'social' at the same time, in the sense that the characters and storyline are things people everywhere can relate to. That to me is what really captured the 'fusion' in Fusion. "Thought provoking and eventful stories written to entertain and inspire," indeed!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fusion.