Andrea's Reviews > Inhale

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Recommended for: Adult Urban Fantasy fans
Read from January 06 to February 05, 2012, read count: 1

Inhale is the first book in the Just Breathe series by debut author Kendall Grey. Zoe Morgan, whale researcher and advocate, haunted by the tragic events of a past research trip, heads to Australia with her team for the opportunity of a lifetime. Gavin Cassidy, Australian rock star and Sentinel, has spent the time since his last partner’s tragic death in a haze of booze and sex. Doubtful of his ability to ever be an active Sentinel again, Gavin is happy to stay in the Realis, away from the responsibility the Dreaming requires of him. But the Dreaming has other plans and when these two damaged souls together, their fate and the world’s is changed forever.

Okay. This review is going to be so, so tough. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to write this review in a concise, cohesive manner without fan-girling all over the place, and it’s a tough job. When Grey sent me the book, I was so curious, based on the synopsis, that I had to open it up right away. I didn’t know what to expect, to be honest. I mean, what is the “Dreaming” and the “Realis”? And what the heck is a Sentinel? What they are, what the entire concept is, is the inventive, invigorating shot in the ass that the urban fantasy genre needs.

I know you probably want or expect me to explain what exactly Inhale is about. Truth is, I can’t even begin to explain the world the author has created. And…I don’t want to. But, WOW, what an amazing concept! I want each and every reader to go into Inhale like I did, with no preconceived ideas, no one over explaining and telling you what to expect. Just dive in and prepare to be blown away.

Lest you think I’m a tease, I will share what I can about Inhale. The characters. Let me start with Zoe Morgan. What an amazing heroine. I want to be Zoe when I grow up! She’s pretty much a badass, a scientist who spends her life researching and protecting whales. How freaking cool, right? She is willing to take on anyone and anything to protect the creatures so beloved to her. But, Zoe has her fair share of problems, too. Raised by her emotionally distant, impossible to please scientist mother, Zoe feels as if she’ll never be good enough. Combine that emotional damage with the loss of a baby whale and a disaster of a relationship with her boss, Zoe is ripe for redemption. Despite the fact she is down, Zoe never becomes pathetic or whiny. She keeps moving forward, bit by bit, inching towards her future.

Which leads me to Gavin. So help me, I want a Gavin Cassidy of my own. That man… Just thinking about him has reduced me to sentence fragments! I can’t think of another fictional guy lately who has gotten under my skin quite like Gavin (and that’s saying a lot because I’m constantly falling for the fake guys). Gavin is layered and complicated. On the outside, he’s swagger and sex appeal. I mean, seriously, what’s hotter than a tattooed rock star, an Australian one, no less? Can you even imagine? But when you get to know him, when the author takes you inside his head, that’s when the real Gavin Cassidy truly shines. Because, for as much appeal as he has on the outside, the heart of Gavin will make you fall in love. Yeah, he's sexy and he knows exactly what to do to make almost any woman melt, but he always has a sweet, tender nature inside of him. The man has a gooey soft center. Honestly, what is sexier than a man who can literally have any woman he wants, but wants the woman who stands apart from the rest; the one who can stand toe-to-toe with him and take on the fury of the Elements?

Any good adult urban fantasy must contain smoking hot chemistry between the lead characters, in my opinion. Kendall Grey delivered. When Gavin and Zoe were together, simply talking or working together, it was lively and fun. But the chemistry between the two? Good gosh. Let’s just say, I had to fan myself off after reading some of their more “invigorating” scenes. Check. Mate.

Here is the gist of what makes Inhale such a stand-out book: plain and simple, the writing. As much as I loved the concept, and the characters, what really blew my mind was Kendall Grey’s ability to immerse me so fully into this world that I didn’t know or understand, and she made me care. I fell in love with the concepts of the story, I was invested in the outcome. Readers (myself included) are constantly harping on the issue of showing vs. telling. Never once in this book did Grey rely on using the character words to do her work. She did a brilliant job of using each word to convey what the reader needed to know. The characters never said “I feel”, they didn’t have to. There was never a question of their thoughts or feelings, not with amazing lines like this:

“He ran the backs of his fingers down her cheek, and pity pin-balled inside his rib cage until it knocked a hole through the floor of his stomach.”

That right there is gorgeous, poetic writing, plain and simple. Gavin doesn’t need to say a word describing his feelings. With a line like that, what more is there to say? Each paragraph of every page contains a beautiful gem like that. It made reading the book a wonderful, sensory-filled experience that I feel so lucky to have had.

Inhale is rich and intricate, but not overly complicated. The story is woven in such a magnificent manner, with little pieces coming back together in ways that I never expected. The story stole my attention, and my emotions. I loved the characters, their inner working, their relationships to one another. I only talked about Gavin and Zoe. But Inhale contains many characters, good and evil, who will make you smile, shake your head, and scream. I had no idea how the story would end. I knew, that as the beginning of a trilogy, the ending wouldn’t be completely water tight. It had to be open-ended to some extent. And, to be sure, there is plenty more story to be told. But I was shocked by the complete and satisfying manner in which Grey ended Inhale. As a reader, I was elated and completely satisfied, and hungry for more. . I haven’t been this excited over a new series in quite some time.

Favorite Quote:

(I had a terrible time narrowing me selection down. The writing is beautiful and funny, with tons of worthy quotes to choose from.)

“Water Elements or not, when the Dreaming called, he came running like the bitch he was. Or innocent people woke up dead.”

“He’d face an army of Fyres by himself, walk into the bloody sun if he had to, but don’t ask him to hold her. He’d never be able to let go.”

*I received a copy of Inhale from the author, in exchange for an honest review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inhale.

Quotes Andrea Liked

Kendall Grey
“And now I know that you're the one
I've waited my whole life for
You're budding leaves turning green in spring
You're the fresh breath of air that summer brings
You're the autumn sky painted in rainbow hues
You're the wintry ocean dancing in shimmering blues
You're the air I breahte
You're the water I drink
You're the fire inside me
The earth under my feet
You're the one”
Kendall Grey, Inhale

01/06/2012
2.0% "The prologue is SOOO good."
01/10/2012 page 22
6.0% "I'm already in love w/Grey's writing style. Beyond beautiful."
01/13/2012 page 125
27.0% "Awesome!"
01/18/2012 page 198
43.0% "Amazing writing!"
01/22/2012 page 277
60.0% "Oh, holy hotness!!"
02/04/2012 page 365
79.0% "Such s great book!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG OMG it has a Goodreads page now? Woohoo!!!

Andrea Yeah, Kendall posted the link earlier! :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I have added it. Can't wait! Chapter one was amazing.

Andrea That's exciting!