Louise at The Reading Experiment's Reviews > Life Is So Good

Life Is So Good by George Dawson

Sometimes, the people with the least in life actually have the most.

If you loved Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, you will enjoy Life Is So Good.

It is the inspiring and heart-warming memoir of George Dawson.

Who? I hear you ask.

George Dawson is a seemingly ordinary 101 year-old man. If you haven’t read this book, you’ve probably never heard of him. That’s a pity, because George is quite remarkable.

He was born into poverty in 1898, the grandson of slaves. He grew up in the deep south of America at a time when racial discrimination was rife. He never went to school and started working as a young boy to support his family. He worked on farms and in a sawmill and helped to build the railroads and the Mississippi River levees.

And he taught himself to read at the ripe old age of 98.

In Life Is So Good, George – with the assistance of Richard Glaubman – tells us his life story, provides an eyewitness account of 20th century America and shares pearls of wisdom he gathered along the way, most notably:

“Life is so good. I do believe it’s getting better.”

He’s a glass half-full kind of guy.

This book is a great pick-me-up. I read it several years ago and I still think of George to this day. It demonstrates the power of the human spirit, the importance of focusing on the positive and left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

You can read more of my book recommendations at www.thereadingexperiment.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Is So Good.