Aly (Fantasy4eva)'s Reviews > You Against Me

You Against Me by Jenny Downham

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: conflicted-thoughts, received-for-review, uk-bookish-love
Read on October 31, 2011 — I own a copy

Most seem to love this book. Isn't it annoying when you're the odd one out? :/

Let's get on to my thoughts, shall we! ;)

When Ellie's brother, Tom, is accused of assaulting a girl, his family is pretty supportive and stand by him. The thing is, they're so busy supporting him that they don't even freaking ask him if he actually did it, I mean, talk about baffling! Meanwhile, Mikey' sister, Karyn, has locked herself in her room ever since they found out what happened to her. Both family's lives are turned completely upside down.

So when Ellie and Mikey happen to meet by chance, although originally, both have ulterior motives, both eventually find themselves falling for each other.

Ellie' family is well off in contrast to Mikey' who lives on the rough end of town. Whilst Ellie comes from a tight knit family, Mikey and his sister only have their mum. But even then, it's Mikey who's always been in charge. With his mum venturing out in the late hours of the night and staggering back drunk, the pressure quickly falls on his shoulders. And although I commend him for being responsible and taking care of his sister and mother, there's no doubt that he's just a complete jerk. First off, he simply see's women as meat and has no respect towards any female whatsoever. It Makes him hard to like or care for really. Not to mention he does some really stupid things, and although he improves a lot towards the end, it was a little too late by then.

Ellie, on the other hand, is being treated as a suspect. Apparently she was there when it happened, but she claims to have been asleep. Throughout the book you will find yourself grow weary towards her. You really don't know how much you can trust this girl. One piece of advice. Don't fall for her naive little charade. She's more sharp than she lets on. I didn't like her either. Conniving people piss me off.

The problem for me was that I couldn't bring myself to care or like even one character. And how could I? Every one of them were either conniving or unlikeable. To top it all off, the slang/accent the characters have going on really grated on me. I've heard it in the past, sure, but when you have to hear it for 300+ pages, it gets a bit too much.

Also, I didn't believe that Ellie and Mikey were in love at all. Sure they like each other, but love? Now that's pulling it a stretch.

I did like that the book constantly kept you on your toes. You're always questioning whose lying and telling the truth, and I'm glad that you don't find out until the very end. It helped really build up some great tension.

It ends as well as it could have. With lingering hope and an air of possibilities.

It was an ok read, but I'm not sure I can say that I liked it. ( I had high hopes from loving BEFORE I DIE). I'm sure many will enjoy it more than I did, but I don't think this one is for me.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Against Me.

Quotes Aly (Fantasy4eva) Liked

Jenny Downham
“Do you want this to be a love story?”
Jenny Downham, You Against Me

Jenny Downham
“It was strange how words meant something when they came out of your mouth. Inside your head they were safe and silent, but once they were outside, people grabbed hold of them.”
Jenny Downham, You Against Me

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Nomes i felt much the same way. it was a bit of a YA version of jodi picoult :)

i did read it fast, but i felt ultimately let down (i keep meaning to review this one)

i also dont understand the really raving reviews for this one?

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Nomes wrote: "i felt much the same way. it was a bit of a YA version of jodi picoult :)

i also dont understand the really ..."

yeah, it's being made out to be this great, meaningful book (although i can see why/maybe) but i didn't think much of it. In this case, too many positive reviews can be misleading. i don't think this is for everyone, so i think it's good that you and i and a few others can share our opinion, so that if a reader does pick it up, at least they have an idea of what to expect.

I struggled with it because i found practically every character unlikeable. And i would love to read your review! Hope you get around to it.

Ariana Don't worry too much, it happens all the time. I can't count how many times I read a book and thought 'why in the world did everyone liked it so much?' when I pretty much didn't.. of course this is not the case, but I understand what you're feeling :)

Gloria I agree, glad I'm not the only one. I just could not connect. Characters seemed realy meh and unmeaningful

Fatima I agree so much! And I saw it on YouTube a book tuber said it was one of her favourite books. And from all the reviews on here I had high hopes for it. Before I read this I read "we were liars" by e. Lockhart which I really liked so when I finished you against me I though that I didn't like it as much due to reading (what I thought was a really good book) before. But after a while of thinking I realised it's just the book itself that's bad. I didn't much care about the characters and I really wanted to. Tom, Ellie's brother sometimes seemed so aggressive I was worried he would do something to her, thankfully he didn't. But your review is exactly how I feel, and this wasn't a love story at all I don't think. They liked each other a lot but a love story? And I'm not 100% sure but I think as I remember Ellie, toms sister is around 15/16 herself. So when he raped Mikey's sister didn't he think how bad it is. Rape in itself but also the fact that he did something like that to a girl that's the same age as his sister. That's pretty annoying, like why didn't he imagine that "wow something like that could happen to my sister and I would kill anybody who would do that,Yet it's okay if I do it". And his parents just trying not to worry and say that he has a future ahead of him it shouldn't be wasted. No he doesn't understand how badly he damaged the girl he raped and it was his choice so now he needs to pay for it right?