Jason's Reviews > Eldest

Eldest by Christopher Paolini

May 25, 2008

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, fiction, young-adult
Read in September, 2011

After reading Eragon I was excited to start the sequel. It didn't take long to get in to this story. It's written in a very accessible manner and draws you in to the plot. I enjoyed the way things picked up recently after the last story and was impressed with how deep the character progression went.

It astounds me that Paolini was so young when he wrote these! In this installment he used words such as loam and striation that I didn't even learn until this past year and I'm 35 years old! There was a line in Eldest in which a character said "We don't need no stinking badgers!" This is almost a word for word quote from a movie that was filmed in the late 80s or early 90s. He's probably too young to have seen that movie. I don't know if this was a coincidence to use an obscure line like this or if he's seen the movie or what. The skeptical part of me wondered if Paolini's mother (who was in the publishing business) helped him write his books and this was something she put in the book. Either way I guess I just need to enjoy the story and trust that he wrote the books himself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eldest.