Annie 's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: i-own, dark, romance, supernatural-or-fantasy, mind-fuck, favorite
Read from January 02 to 11, 2012

If ever a tale of two star-crossed lovers be, The Night Circus is the story you seek.

There is a new attraction at the circus, two white snakes dance together so perfectly that you cannot tell where one ends and the other begins. The dance turns to a battle and the snakes turn black. The whole book is full of symbolism, but this is probably the best example the book gives. Marco and Celia’s love was white and pure, everything that love should be. The contest or the game, much like the music being played for the snakes, turned their love into a bad thing, polluting it.

I suggest you read this book slowly and think about it as you read; there is often more than one meaning to the passages.

I thought at times that the book was dragging, but that was only because I was not looking at it the right way. The author’s style is wonderful, but confusing (in a good way). She describes everything to the last detail weaving the magic that makes the circus, but she leaves just enough for the air of mystery that keeps you guessing the entire book.

Every character, every story, every tangent is important. I LOVED this book. It has been a long time since a book has completely pulled me in. I could feel the magic from the circus, the love between Marco and Celia, and the curiosity of the patrons.

There are so many great quotes from this book, but the one I think describes the book the best is “But dreams have ways of turning into nightmares…”

I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves magic, games with rules that are unknown, and above all love in all of its forms.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Annie Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Secrets have power. And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secrets, real secrets, important ones, with even one other person, will change them. Writing them down is worse, because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours.”

Erin Morgenstern
“I couldn't tell the difference between what was real and what I wanted to be real.”

01/02/2012 page 20
01/02/2012 page 60
16.0% "loving the fact that I have no idea where all these story lines are going..."
01/05/2012 page 150
39.0% "It is dragging at the moment. I am hoping it will pick back up soon. So far - A LOT of world building.. She is trying to pull me into the circus but its killing the story line a little."
01/06/2012 page 190
49.0% "I am beginning to understand.. the story is about the circus and the game... not the two players... now the story is not dragging.. strange what perspective can do.."
01/07/2012 page 260
67.0% "hopefully finish this tomorrow. usually do not read this slow, but this book is detail-heavy..."
show 1 hidden update…