Holly's Reviews > J.D. Salinger: The Catcher in the Rye and Other Works

J.D. Salinger by Raychel Haugrud Reiff

Nov 07, 2011

did not like it
Read from October 30 to November 07, 2011

I usually adore books, no matter the plot line, no matter the characters. But for some reason I can’t even begin to talk about how much I detested reading this book. And I feel blasphemous even thinking about that. I know it’s a classic book and both of my parents have spoken wonders about it. But still, oh lord I hated it.

I liked the plot, I really did. I enjoyed the whole idea of this boy who runs away from school and spends a few nights in New York. But I really could barely finish the book because of the writing style of it. The book’s written in the first person, and I really did detest the character and just the way that he spoke (I guess the way that Salinger wrote that he spoke…)

He seemed so patronising. I think from what I can remember, that he was supposed to be sixteen, and I’m fifteen so I guess I understand what it’s like maybe… But just the way he spoke about the world around him, like he was so much older than he actually was. Speaking about everything if they were ‘phonies’ and the things that ‘killed him’. I guess it just reminded me of people in real life who really act like this and think they’re better than everything, and believe they’re so much older than they are.

To summise, I don’t hate the book, I guess. I hate the main character, which understandbly made it near impossible to read as I had no attachment to him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read J.D. Salinger.