Brittany Young's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Oct 31, 2011

I have to admit that I was a little intimidated by the size of this book. It has 533 pages, and if one did not know it had a fair amount of pictures, it could be a pretty daunting task to read this book. I think it was so interesting that this historical fiction chapter book was so closely related to a picture book. The images and text go hand in hand, enhancing each other to the point that both are equally important to the meaning of the story. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. They look like pencil, hand drawn images. They are all black and white and come in different sizes. Some run off the page, which draw the reader into the picture and let our imagination fill in what is depicted outside the pages boarder. The stories introduction asks the reader to look at this book almost as if we were watching a silent movie. The author did an amazing job creating that movie atmosphere with the book. The narrator becomes a huge tool. The mysteries of the events that take place entice the reader, and I was hooked and asking questions the entire time. The author uses the coincidences that take place to prompt some foreshadowing, and it really allows the reader to try and guess what will happen next. I like that the book deals with loss, abandonment, and trust issues. Reading this would allow a young reader to understand those life issues without even realizing it. This book would be great to use as a coming of age story in the classroom. I would recommend it to readers no younger than an advanced fourth grade reader. There is some tough vocabulary in it. I do not believe there is an age limit to this novel. It was an amazingly well written and entertaining book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.