Brittany Young's Reviews > Black and White

Black and White by David Macaulay

Oct 30, 11

I have to say that I did not connect with this book all that much. It seems a bit chaotic and complicated for the simple text and idea. It seems like there was no real plot, but everything that occurred was a weird web of events that have something to do with each other. There are quite a few instances where the text did not fit the text, or that there was a secret meaning to it. I found it interesting that there was such a variety in the form of the text. Sometimes it looked traditional, other times it was larger and off center or in a fun font. Although the title is “Black and White” the cover and spine title have colors in them. The images have color in them as well, but it seems like the subject of the text is the black and white item. The illustrations seem to be created with water color, or thinned out marker maybe. They look very hand drawn, which seems to juxtapose the complicated story line. This is definitely a postmodern book in my opinion. It reminded me of “Voices in the park”, with four stories all told in a quadrant of a spread. It could be used in a classroom to help teach perspective. There are also a few puns in the book. The text can help introduce readers to these instances like puns in literature. It is hard to decide on an appropriate age for the reader of this book. The text is simple, and it could be read to young children, but I think they would miss how complicated the book really is. This picture book could be used with older children, but it is challenging to figure out how it could be used. I think the teacher would have to facilitate a lot of the discussion for the book because it is so deceivingly complicated. I cannot see myself using this book in the classroom unless it fits into a specific part of the curriculum. It needs something less puzzle-like to have the children connect with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black and White.