Sequelguerrier's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

Oct 30, 11

I own a copy

OK this one caught me by the cover! First, there is 'cat' in it that always gets my attention. Then there is the clever graphical juxtaposition of White Cat and Holly Black, the author's name (something other covers I saw for this book miss out on). I'm hooked... and having read it... well, I like it but there is a feeling something is missing. Interesting conceit the curse workers and even more so the question of how much of your memories are what you really are, so that's not the problem and it certainly has a start that gets you right into it. I'm not quite sure what I'm niggling at but I can't quite warm to the characters. Cassel, the protagonist is a teenage who Black catches too well to make him really sympathetic and his family is anything between irksome and plain hateful. Since we see them through Cassel's eyes this might be his jaundiced teenage take but, frankly, some of them are so awful you wonder why he bothers...and quite some of his actions are motivated by family feeling...Still, I'm hooked enough to want to have a go at the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.