Claudia's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

May 25, 2008

bookshelves: can-t-live-without-em, historical-fiction
Recommended for: historical fiction rans
Read in January, 1997

this is the first book I ever cried IN CLASS as I read. My students were horrified, until I explained I was just reading! I love the cycle...the first sentence: "The young boys came early to the hanging." The first words in the last chapter: "The young boys came early to the hanging!" Different boys, different hanging!!" Amazing! Now I want to take this to Europe, and read as I visit cathedrals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I read the book about 10 years ago and loved the references about the architectural consruction of cathedrals and how people organized to accomplish this task. The historical references in the book seemed valid and Follett's usual plot structures make this long novel a good read.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue It is graphic. And when Agnes gave birth in the forest OMG reaffirmed my decision never to have a baby! Can't imagine what Tom was feeling too leave his newborn although the author did give a good impression of his struggle.

Claudia I soooo need to reread this. I have the next one, but have put off reading it until I reread this.