Claudia's Reviews > The Da Vinci Code

May 25, 2008

bookshelves: suspense-fiction
Recommended to Claudia by: Preston and Chase
Read in January, 2006

My students were bringing this in, some concerned about the challenge to their religious beliefs...I needed to be able to talk to them, so I jumed in. I had no trouble separating out my beliefs and a ripping-good suspense novel. I think Brown made a terrible mistake by alleging some of his ideas as 'fact'. This is a study for other authors in writing suspense: short, fast chapters ending on cliffhangers, changing points of view, a known bad guy, and a hidden one...I DID read this illustrated version twice as slowly as the other, since I pored over the pictures. As history? bogus. As exciting fiction? Oh, yeah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Da Vinci Code.

Shirley Claudia, I completely agree with you regarding the fact that this is a story...a great suspense novel...it's NOT MEANT to be historical fact. I was not at all offended by the book. I was more offended by the audacity of people's ignorant responses to the book...it's a story!...and a darn good one at that!

message 2: by Tracie (new)

Tracie Hackett Claudia and Shirley-

I agree. Great story!

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tim You did a much nicer job of framing Brown's historical take than I did. I always love your reviews.

Claudia Tim, thank you--I really respect your opinion. LOVE your reviews too! Miss you.