Jacqueline's Reviews > If You Give A Girl A Viscount

If You Give A Girl A Viscount by Kieran Kramer

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: genre-romance-historical, classified-as-dnf
Read from February 20 to 24, 2012, read count: Not even once!

# Pages Survived: 161

This book sucked ass. I admit it- said novel more than surpassed the 60 page benchmark, tripled it, in fact. But, still, the book was god-awful. The characters weren't bland, the story-line wasn't lacking, and the plot was interesting enough. Ironically, what killed this particular book mid-story, for me, was the writing. For some unknown reason, Kieran Kramer's style seemed to read more along the lines of a high school senior attempting to write her first fiction piece for an English portfolio.

Additionally, I likewise found myself sometimes cringing at the syntax used by nearly all characters involved, but most especially the heroine. To my eyes, the female protagonist came off as a modern woman plucked from the present, and dropped into the era. Her role as tormented "Cinderella" swish-swashed from abused, meekly quiet gal to head-strong smart mouth, all within an entirely too short a time span.

Sadly, upon finishing (or not finishing, as the case is) this particular novel, I do realize that I still have another Kramer book in my stash. Since I didn't hate this book enough to ban the author from my reading list completely, I will give the writer one more chance. If the next book bombs for the same reason, I'm chucking said book to the nearest wall, PDQ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Give A Girl A Viscount.