Rita Wiebner's Reviews > 1Q84

Apr 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-read, read-in-2012
Read from April 13 to 25, 2012

I like the challenge of reading large books like this, however, it takes me so long to read them. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get it completed, and I felt like I was reading it every day. And I read a lot! But it still took me forever. Anyway, I have a bit of love/hate going on with this book, that's why I left it at a 3 star. I really loved the characters. I thought they were complex, but yet simple. The background and lives that Tengo and Aomamae led were intriguing to me and I could personally identify with both of them. I thought they were written so splendidly as characters.

The story itself obviously has deeper meaning than what's on the surface. The journey to finding each other was long and complex for Aomamae and Tengo. I feel like it was a little too long - not in time, but in the trivial details of some things that occurred in the book. The repetitive details of some of the day to day activities were a bit boring to me and dragged the book out longer than it needed.

I think the author wanted you to assume a lot about the Sakigake storyline and the Little People. I wish it would have had a bit more substance. A little too mysterious for me. I feel that Fuka-Eri was closed out nicely though, since she served her purpose and was no longer needed.

Ushikawa was a bit of an annoying character to me, but I guess you had to have a character like him in the book. I didn't like near the end though, when his point of view was added to the book. It just felt like it didn't fit with how the flow had been going. I can see that it was necessary to show what was going on, but I still didn't like it.

Overall, I did enjoy the book, and wanted to like it a bit more than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

Quotes Rita Liked

Haruki Murakami
“If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there's salvation in life. Even if you can't get together with that person.”
Haruki Murakami, 1Q84