Eilidh's Reviews > Starter for Ten

Starter for Ten by David Nicholls

Oct 30, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Oh my word, this book is hilarious. I took it on holiday to read, and started it when I was having my breakfast cuppa and finished it that night, because I was giggling too much to put it down.

Everyone in the world has done something that at the time you've thought was super cool or super funny, and then afterwards you've cringed with the utter mortification of it all. Brian Jackson seems to spend rather alot of his time doing this, and you can't help but feel sorry for the guy, because we've all been there. The scene at the party when he dances was the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

The University Challenge thing worked so perfectly as well, anyone who's ever watched it (I love it) knows that the type of people who are on it are exactly what you imagine Brian to be. (And I liked how the chapters were UC questions, I now feel better equipped for any pub quizzes I may attend.)

I would definitely recommend this, but I'd also recommend that you don't read it in company (ie. on holiday when your family/friends are trying to watch TV or read or anything) as the chances of some out-loud laughing are pretty high...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starter for Ten.

04/13/2016 marked as: read