Jen's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

202716
Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: book-club, science, romance, world-culture
Read from October 26 to November 29, 2011

LOVED THIS BOOK. A wonderful, wonderful story that takes the reader on a journey through Africa, the U.S., and a bit through India. Twin boys are born to a nun who serves as a nurse in an Ethiopian hospital. The suspected father is a British surgeon at the same hospital who has no idea she is pregnant until she is already dying during a difficult labor. Devastatingly, he only realizes his deep love for her while she is dying, and he blames her death on the twins. He flees, leaving two other doctors at the hospital to care for the boys. They are both drawn toward careers in medicine, but life circumstances (and a girl) drive them apart. Only the most dire circumstances can reunite them with their father...and with each other, in a way neither of them could have imagined.

I found this story alternately romantic, exciting, interesting, and heartbreaking. Every section of the book kept my attention, and I loved the combination of medical and spiritual affects on the body. So many ideas and themes are explored in the book, but the most significant is probably the exploration of what really defines family and self. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.