Christine's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: japan
Read from November 12 to December 15, 2011

This was the first book of Haruki Murakami's I've read. I knew only that he had a reputation for writing "weird" stories and this certainly met that criteria. Although it was long and part of that was a repetitive style, for me, it made the whole strange set up more believable although it was totally unbelievable to have 2 parallel universes side by side. In that respect, I guess it was somewhat like The City and The City by China Mieville. Why did Aomame end up in 1Q84? Once she was out of it, would she still be able to encounter Buzzcut and Ponytail but they would not know each other? The same could be asked about the Dowager and Tomato. Or would they know each other but, like, be on opposite sides of an unbreakable glass wall. Why did Tengo's father's ghost or whatever you would call it, I guess it's not a ghost since he wasn't dead, keep harassing Aomame and Ushekawa? Where did the little people come from and what did they want? Is it believable that no matter how intense the grade school encounter was of Aomame and Tengo, it could continue to be an animating factor in their lives for 20 years after they last saw each other. Even though I was totally drawn into the story, now that I'm out of it, I seem only to have a lot of questions about where I was.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.