Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > Master of Crows

Master of Crows by Grace Draven

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-romance, ebook, smashwords
Recommended to Anna (Bobs Her Hair) by: BamaGal (Naysa)
Read from October 30 to November 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Grade: C+

The redeeming part of this ebook are the main characters. It felt as if the author had a clear idea of her characters and a gist of their story before she began writing this story.

The setting felt vague and was just...there. Silvana and Martise were the redeeming factors in this ebook. They felt real and three-dimensional as their romance developed. When the plot/conflict came into focus the story lost some life.

Corruption is the antagonist but all we know is that he is a petty god and wants to possess Silvana to take over the world. He almost seemed like one of the Greek gods from Clash of the Titans. The other villain in the story was more interesting.

Master of Crows did keep me engaged so I don't regret purchasing this book, but I'm not sure I would read another Grace Draven story.

About Martise's sould (view spoiler)

Thanks Bamagal! I did enjoy Silvana. His impure thoughts had me thinking this could be an erotic novella if the author so chose. LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of Crows.

10/30/2011 page 34
12.0% ""You have done an unwise thing, Martise of Asher," he said softly. "You've caught my interest.""
10/31/2011 page 83
30.0% ""They call me a carrion mage now. To yeild to you will make me nothing more than a foul tick swollen on the blood of the world." p. 83 Still trying to get a feel for the this world and its people. It doesn't seem to be part of a series."
11/02/2011 page 263
95.0% "Hurry, Martise, hurry!"
show 1 hidden update…

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks for the book rec, Naysa. I'll check it out.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Right now, I'm into Martise's and Silhara's relationship and what her Gift means. I like them. Gurn is a nice secondary character. I do wish Draven would have invested more into her world- building.

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Totally agree about the soul thing, I really expected a bigger bang there as well. I think I agree about the worldbuilding as well, like the heresy comments and the expletives Martise used, they are never really tied to anything. The romance did sweep me of my feet though.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Jan wrote: The romance did sweep me of my feet though.

I liked the romance, too! Silvana's sexual inner dialogue regarding Martisse had an erotic vibe. Draven could have easily written this as an erotic novel. ;o)

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Yeah it was surprisingly sensual. And the pacing of the relationship was perfect. They were wary of each other, and it took them a long time to overcome that, attraction or not.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Very interesting, Naysa. Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen I agree about her soul (your spoiler comment). That would have made the book more interesting. And you're right, the setting was vague. I didn't know if we were on earth, even, for a while.

I felt this was erotica, almost.