Lisa's Reviews > The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, kindle-baby, own, faves, book-crushes, hist-fic, heroines-i-heart, interesting-women
Recommended for: Mum; Jade; Lynds; Gaye
Read from April 11 to 21, 2012, read count: 1

Brilliant...Within moments after first picking this up I had been seduced and pulled completely into this book's spell, and for every moment that followed I wanted to be doing nothing other than reading this, becoming annoyed whenever anything pulled me away be it work, sleeping, eating...

A big, fat book that's more than worth the effort, we are pulled bodily into Victorian society and given a full look at all of the sorts of things that went unmentioned or glossed over in the Victorian literature I've previously read. Mostly following the fortunes of Sugar, a teenaged prostitute famous for submitting to absolutely anything, provided she's being paid, and her changing fortunes once she's made the exclusive mistress of a self-obsessed businessman, through whom we get a glimpse of all the various levels of Victorian society. This accounts largely for many of the book's strengths, as we are introduced to a wide and never uninteresting cast of supporting characters, be they servants, swells, madams, ladies, or even children, all of whom don't feel like characters but far more like real people.

The female characters were all the real stand-outs for me, particularly Agnes (the epitome of the mad wife locked in the attic), Emmeline Fox (an intelligent and compassionate woman, seeking to better the lives of London's many prostitutes through the Rescue Society), little Sophie Rackham (the ignored daughter, only allowed to observe rather than participate with the household) and, of course, Sugar herself.

Character rather than plot driven, I never wanted to not be reading and was left bereft on finishing (I would have happily read on for another year or two), particularly when it came to the open ending (leaving me to worry about what might become of Sophie and hoping Sugar wouldn't go down the path taken by her own mother). But then, how often in life do we get to know how everyone's story ends?

I'm so in love with this novel that I'm definitely going to head out and try some more of Faber's work, and I strongly suggest that you do the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Petal and the White.

04/15/2012 page 445
50.0% "I never want to be not reading this book."
04/21/2012 page 867
97.0% "Oooh.....go on Sugar!! How I hate thee, Rackham."