Kimmy's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: i-m-warning-you-i-m-mean, highly-addictive
Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I had mixed feelings after reading this book. I read books for entertainment, so if there is a book that doesn't end nicely..., I'll just say I don't like it. It as in the book. So my rating for this book may have been a bit biased and unfair.
This book is actually quite well-written and unique, with Nikki telling her story in both flashback and chronological orders, a technique which I have never encountered before, and I'd give credit to the author for her adroitness. But other than that, there's nothing much more to say about this book. The story is heart-wrenching, but it is not exceptional, just plain OK. Some parts didn't make sense. The father-daughter relationship between Nikki and her father was redundant. Nikki's father's reactions were eyebrow-raisingly ridiculous. I think the author was trying to follow the stereotypical parent-child generation gap in most YA books. Unlike books like Catching Jordan, Entwined and Perfect Chemistry, Everneath failed to pull the parent-child conflict off. Which father in the name of god would get mad at a daughter for standing in the middle of the fight rather than disappearing and doing drugs (supposedly) for 6 months?!
The parts containing snippets of the relationship between Nikki and Jack were breathtakingly sweet. If this book had no element of Cole and the Tunnels - and of course a happy ending - I might even consider giving the book 4 or 5 stars. But I found Nikki's character to be slightly annoying. It is not Cole's fault that she was dragged down to Everneath; her own naivete cost her Jack. I am quite unhappy with how Cole is portrayed to be the antagonist. He tried to help Nikki, after all. My heart almost stopped when Nikki and Jack set off to kill Cole. Cole doesn't deserve it AT ALL. Don't get me wrong, I am not Team Cole, I'm team Jack - ever his : ) - but I am anti-team Nikki.
Thank god there's another book coming out. Jack and Nikki deserve their happy ending (I'll let Nikki off just this once), and I hope Cole will be happy off somewhere too. I'm not too excited to read the second book yet. I believe that the Everneath series is a trilogy. I might read the sequel when it comes out too see what happens to Jack, but I think I will prefer to wait for the last book to be published, flip to its last page to check its ending, and only if the conclusion is a happy one then give the series another try. As I have mentioned previously, I like happy endings, or at least justifiable endings. I believe that Jack and Nikki getting together eventually at the end of the series is the only REDEMPTION for Everneath, at least from my perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.