Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Cross My Heart

Cross My Heart by Katie Klein

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: in-my-kindle, cant-put-these-down, favourites
Read on October 30, 2011

Once in a while, an unassuming book comes across my shelf that I usually put off reading until the mood strikes me. For Kindle copies, I hold off even longer. I am not a big fan of e-books; I’ve said this over and over again. I love the feel of rifling through the pages when I have this urge to re-read scenes.

Cross My Heart has been sitting in my iPad waiting for the day when I was desperate enough to read something. No offense meant. Well, desperate times called for desperate measures. We were at a house party on Saturday night and I was bored out of my wits. I carry a book in my purse anywhere I go but I sure as heck do not carry the iPad in my purse. I thought that bringing a book out would be ruder in front of company than reading on my iPhone. So I pretended to check my phone the entire night, all the while reading the itty bitty text on the Kindle app. Subtle.

I’m happy to say that all the squinting was well worth it.

Let me break down what Cross My Heart is all about.

Girl. Pretty. OCD. Safe.

Boy. Aloof. Bad rep. The complete opposite of safe.

You put them together and what do you get?

A funny, sweet, romantic, heartfelt and unforgettable read, that’s what!

I’ve never been more inclined to re-read a book shortly after reading this. In fact, that’s what I did as soon as I finished wiping my wet, snotty face.

I mean, come on. There’s really nothing special about the plot. We’ve read them all before. Good girl falling in love with a bad boy. But you know what? There’s just something about the way Ms. Klein’s take on this tiresome plot that made me feel so besotted with this book.

First of all, the main characters are both intelligent. You will not be annoyed with the insipidness of the dialogues normally found on books in this setting. But at the same time, the author did a phenomenal job by making them sound their age. The snark between these two were funny - kind of like watching a comedic but clever verbal-tennis match.

Ten bonus points also goes to the writer for having an active family supporting the MC. Good for you! I also love that there were no token insidious mean girls in attendance; instead, you’ll find a couple of besties who stuck with Jaden through and through.

All in all, this book was a bundle of surprise. It made me laugh and it made me cry a whole lot. But I cry at a drop of a hat, so…*shrugs*

It doesn’t matter. I’m so happy to have found this romance gem! It will pull at your heartstrings will clog your throat with lumps the size of a golf ball. It always makes me happy when a book is written so wonderfully well that I probably miss all the things that I nitpick about on my usual reviews. Perhaps there isn’t even any.

Regardless, this book will be one of those I go back to over and over again.

Incidentally, I decided to buy this book when I read Tina's review :) So really, I should say, thanks, Tina!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross My Heart.

10/30/2011
69.0% "Please, please tell me this story ends well..."