Raj's Reviews > Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile

3320405
Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: crime
Read from October 22 to November 06, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have fond memories of Gyles Brandreth and his jumpers from my childhood on TV-am and still enjoy his media appearances, even if he is a Tory. I've never until now encountered any of his written work but this was a pleasant introduction to it. This is part of a series starring Oscar Wilde in a detective role, solving murder mysteries, with a dramatis personae of historical characters, including Robert Sherard and Arthur Conan Doyle. The real characters are woven skilfully into the narrative and several times I had to google a character or location to see if it was real or not.

Having a good backdrop would be pointless if the story itself wasn't up to scratch, but thankfully it is. Brandreth weaves together a tale that takes Wilde from a lecture tour of the US to a collaboration with a celebrated Parisian theatre company for a production of Hamlet. The story is fairly slow-burning with a plot that only comes together right at the end, with a twist that turns what appears to be a very pedestrian ending into something much more interesting.

The plot may be slow-burning, but the character are all very vivid, especially Wilde himself, who jumps out from the page. Brandreth also provides some context for some of Wilde's more famous quotes which raise a smile, although whether the fiction matches the fact is harder to judge. Sherard is more muted, the Watson to Wilde's Holmes but even he gets some excitement in the form of a duel later in the book.

I wasn't sure if I'd like this book, bringing together, as it does, historical figures in a fictional setting, but it worked remarkably well for me, so I'll certainly look out for others in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile.