Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Croak

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, debut-author-2012
Read from January 18 to February 10, 2012

::: Also posted on: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

Let's have a look at that gorgeous cover for a sec. The girl's pose, that thing she's holding, what she's wearing, the bold font - everything just screams WHAT AN AMAZING AND PROMISING BOOK THIS WILL BE. But don't be mislead by the cover (just as I was) because I must tell you, this is a book that I did not finish (and won't consider continuing or reading the two sequels).

The concept was interesting, in lack of better word. I devoured the beginning (50 pages or so) but something wasn't right. I think it's because of the author's writing. I just couldn't get into it, and there was something wrong.

Lex was pretty, umm, weird. I mean, I guess she was written that way, but at times her temper and behaviour just seems forced and it make it seem like Gina Damico just created her to be like that to fall under YA's latest trend - bad-ass heroines. I just didn't get it. There was no explanation as to why she acts like that, just that readers are supposed to be on her side even though she got expelled, beat up other kids at school even though they've never done anything to her, played thoughtless tricks on cheerleaders, violated school rules, etc.

The bickering and the fighting (literally, I mean, we're talking about hitting, and black eyes on both parts) between Lex and Driggs. Those two are like unstoppable, the only think that kept me reading about this was to see more of their interaction with each other. But then again, since I gave up on CROAK after 115 pages (halfway through, more or less) I have no idea what happened or blossomed with those two.

I really wanted to like this book. I really did. Maybe that's why I gave it another chance when I was getting bored at around page 70. And it's such a shame because the cover is LOVELY. Too bad the book is not.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

01/19/2012 page 25
show 6 hidden updates…

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay aww, man. But that cover is so awesome! haha

Jana (The Book Goddess) yep that's what I thought too! the cover is so awesome and I really wanted to like this book :(

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) So did you end up finishing it? I'm about halfway through and I'm seriously contemplating putting it down.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Jessi wrote: "So did you end up finishing it? I'm about halfway through and I'm seriously contemplating putting it down."

Nope, I never finished it, stopped halfway through :(

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) I almost did, but I read the last few pages and now I want to know who the killer is!! That's the ONLY reason I'm still going. Sigh.

message 6: by LJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

LJ I read the whole thing, and I'm just hoping that lex gets to be a better character in other books. I agree, there's something about it that's pretty flat.

Kristen I gave up on this one too. I just couldn't connect with Lex at all and her behavior was over the top outrageous. And the writing was a bit off, too many words that honestly I had to look up sometimes. And I think of myself as a pretty bright person. Not what you expect in a YA novel at all.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Kristen wrote: "I gave up on this one too. I just couldn't connect with Lex at all and her behavior was over the top outrageous. And the writing was a bit off, too many words that honestly I had to look up sometim..."

YES. This. AGREE.

Kristen So glad I wasn't the only one! :) I was like.. why can I not get into this book?

message 10: by Lois (new) - added it

Lois Laine You hit the nail on the head. It was really hard for me to take seriously a lot of the abstract concepts she presents in the story because there is little or no explanation. She seems a lot more concerned with word play and witty names for street names than writing a good story. I'm pushing myself to finish it, though I'm not sure why.

message 11: by Mage (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mage Her behavior is actually explained later. I'm not sure when but if you had kept going Mort gives an explanation.