Michelle's Reviews > Fly by Night

Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge

May 24, 2008

bookshelves: 11thgrade

Fly By Night is about a girl named Mosca Mye. She is a girl with the rare ability to read. It takes place in a world without a king and guilds plotting to take over the realm. She is in a world where name is important but books are not. Books are consider to be dangerous and whoever has the ability to read is in danger. One night, her father dies, and all of his books are burned. Mosca is only left with two things which is her ability to read and her name. Mosca is forced to live with her cruel uncle in a mill. He would lock her up in his mill with a goose as a friend. She is an outsider. There is also very few schools in the world which Mosca lives in.

I couldn't imagine a life without books, schools, newpaper, magazines and etc. Reading and writing goes hand in hand without one you won't know the other. How will the society organize itself? How will taxes or contract be signed? How will things be invented and how will history be recorded? This novel teaches oooous the importance f reading and writing. We can't take our abilities for granted.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly by Night.