Cathy 's Reviews > The Hollows Insider

The Hollows Insider by Kim Harrison

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, magic-users, paranormal, read-in-2011, urban, vampire, werewolf
Read from December 21 to 22, 2011

It was kind of fun. In general this kind of thing doesn't add much to the series, but it's fun for the fans. This one was certainly done with good intentions: the book is very high quality paper (and heavy!), the images really look like I imagined the characters would look (unlike the graphic novel, that's the difference when the author is fully in control), the cover has a nifty glow-in-the dark moon and some city lights, and it's just overall slick and nicely produced. There isn't much new information, there aren't any new stories, but it was done from a cute perspective of a local human blogger, Devin, who had gotten accidently caught in one of Rachel's spells when she was a runner and had all of his hair fall out. He got obsessed and spent the next few years researching her, everyone she knows, and Interlanders in general. So there are a lot of fact sheets about the characters and different species, Devin's journal entries, newspaper articles, communications between Trent and Quen about the situation, plus spells, Takata lyrics and more. it's definitely one of those books that will only have any meaning to fans of the series though. But it would be a fun gift, and I did see it today at B&N marked 50% off (sorry for the timely reference, I may edit that our later). It might be one of those things that you wouldn't rationalize buying for yourself but that the fan in your life would enjoy seeing on her shelf. If only to see the little sketches of the characters and be able to say, "I told you so!" when they look pretty much like she thought they would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollows Insider.

12/21/2011 page 3
1.0% "Seems more fun than I expected. It's certainly heavy enough!"
12/21/2011 page 85
28.0% "The moon and the city lights on the cover glow in the dark, very cute."
12/21/2011 page 90
30.0% "The illustrations look so much more like what I thought everyone would look like than the graphic novel, spot on. Glenn is hot!"