Katherine's Reviews > The Woman Warrior

198475
May 31, 12

bookshelves: wow-book-club-reads, june-summer-2012-challenge
Read from May 27 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

When I read the title of this book I seem to have another idea of what the book would be about. It was quite a different discovery when this book began with some interesting stories about women in China. Actually, it was a story of learning for a daughter who has started her womanhood who gets some specific advice from her mother by sharing a story of a woman who got pregnant while her husband had been living years in the US after migrating there for better economic opportunities. This woman became ostracized in her community and was left alone to ultimately take her own life together with her newborn baby (SPOILER) - well you kind of know this from the beginning of the story. But nevertheless, it is a shocking entrance to this book filled with stories mixed with mysticism and reality that I wasn't sure why it was categorized nonfiction. In spite of all this, the stories are very haunting and memorable. I'm still in the process of figuring what it all means and the decisions that author makes to write these stories that depict her upbringing. I look forward to the book club to share these insights of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Warrior.