FicTalk Blog's Reviews > Zombies Don't Cry: Book One in the Living Dead Love Story Series

Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-in-2011

Reviewed by Heather

I’ve been called the ‘Resident Zombie Lover’ by Autumn and I have to say that is very true. So, when I received Zombies Don’t Cry by Rusty Fischer, sent to me by the author himself, I was thrilled to get the chance to read it.

Maddy Swift is the typical teenage girl. She’s minding her business one night, walking in the rain to a party to meet her new crush, Stamp. Suddenly, Maddy is stuck by lightning. When she awakens, what seems to be minutes later but is actually hours later, she is thankful to be breathing. Only…she isn’t!

Maddy returns home, no longer winded from her hefty climb up the tree outside her window and with a fresh blackened circle on the top of her head from the lightning strike. She sits down at her computer and begins to examine her theories. Deciding to check out Google (because, really, what else does one do when they discover they can hold their breath for 8 minutes?), Maddy comes upon a site that has a “You Might Be a Zombie If…” quiz.

After taking said quiz, Maddy discovers that she is indeed a zombie and she must eat brains within 48 hours. While at the local supermarket trying to acquire some brains, she is approached by two classmates… who turn out to be zombies themselves. They take Maddy under their wings and decide to teach her their way of life. Because believe it or not, Zombies do indeed have rules they have to ‘live’ by.

When you look at the cover of this book you really get the feeling that it’s going to be a heavy type book. But that is not true. This book had me laughing at so many points, especially with the chapter titles: “Brains on Aisle 9″, “Cloudy With a Chance of Gray Matter” and “A Pimp Called Death.” I mean, with chapter titles like that, how could you not be cracking up?

Rusty Fischer did an amazing job writing this book. I had to remind myself while reading, quite a few times, that this was indeed a guy writing this book. He definitely had teenage Maddy’s actions and words right with a typical teenage girl.

I am really looking forward to, hopefully, reading more about Maddy and her undead life (hint, hint, nudge, nudge Mr. Fischer). But in the meantime, I won’t mind picking this book up and reading it over and over again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Don't Cry.