Andy's Reviews > Queen of the Darkness

Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop

May 24, 08

Read in May, 2008

Every once in a while I, especially after reading literary fiction for long spells, I enjoy reading pulp. This book tells a simple tale in many words---there's the two destined lovers & rightful rulers of the land and those scheming against them.

While Bishop's writing has improved since Daughter of the Blood, she is still no master of prose---I'd rate her below average as far as published writing goes. She uses trite phrases again and again and again. Most comical of all: "the killing edge." My favorite line of all is when someone "road the killing edge wind." WTF?!? I know she gets to make up the rules to her universe, but now a state of being now has a wind along with all the jewels' winds?

Bishop has created a wonderful world of fantasy with the Black Jewels trilogy; it's just too bad she doesn't have the writing chops to do it justice. Her imagination far exceeds her writing talent, but her imagination makes this a fun read.

[Spoilers below!]

Overall, I enjoyed Queen of the Darkness a fair bit, though it ended way way too happy for me. Come on, I was expecting someone to have to make a sacrifice, but nope, no sacrifices necessary. Bishop might as well have ended the book with "and they all lived happily ever after." Beyond the plot, the characters grow a little bit, namely Daemon, but just a teeny bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of the Darkness.