Dija's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: 2010, favorites, childhood-friends-turned-lovers, ya, authors-i-stalk, my-reviews
Read from October 29 to 31, 2011

For the past few weeks, I've been viewing Mockingjay as a bomb about to go off, but while it wasn't quite that bad, I wasn't entirely off the mark either. I'm still recovering from the wringer this series put me through.

Which is why I've been suffocating hugging my parrot for the past couple of hours.

You know when you take a month-long vacation you've been planning for ages and it's all you'd wished for and more, but at the end of the trip, you're still the happiest and most relieved when you get home, albeit sad to be returning to the same boring routine? That's what reading this trilogy has been like for me. I checked out of reality for a while, and now that I've finished this series, I'm glad to be back in my own comfort zone again, but this was a trip I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I admit that I disliked a few things about Mockingjay. However, this book made me feel so many powerful emotions that they overshadow all my misgivings. If it had all been flowers and cotton candy, I doubt this series would have ever lived to its potential. Hunger Games isn't meant to be a fluffy read, and while reading some passages was like a punch to the gut, at least I can't blame Collins for ruining what would have otherwise been a fantastic series.
“I’m planning for you to have a long life.”

“Why?” This kind of thinking will only bring him trouble. “You don’t owe me anything.”

“Because you’ve earned it.”

Katniss is officially the strongest YA heroine I've ever come across. She even beats Rose from VA in that regard. It makes me feel like a coward admitting it, but even I wished Katniss were dead a couple of times near the ending. The trauma she has to bear, the tragic life, it all became too much to read about and I found myself getting up several times to pour myself a glass of cold water. See, that's what a good book does: makes you become so absorbed in the story, the characters, that you simply need to take a break to give your own heart a little breather.

While Hunger Games will always remain one of my most favorite YA series, I doubt I'll ever work up the courage to re-read it. My heart couldn't possibly take another beating like that, made all the worse because I know the fate of all my beloved characters now. But this series is still a far cry from hopeless. There're little bits of glitter within all the darkness; you just have to believe enough to look for them.

Favorite Quotes (MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!):

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead. It would be best for everyone if I were dead….

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. There is no District 12. I am the Mockingjay. I brought down the Capitol. President Snow hates me. He killed my sister. Now I will kill him. And then the Hunger Games will be over….

All these passages did break my heart and make my eyes sting, but the line that did me in was:

Strange bits of happiness, like the photo of Finnick and Annie’s newborn son.

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Dija Liked

Suzanne Collins
“There are much worse games to play.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.
"Real," I answer. "Because that's what you and I do, protect each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick?" I say, "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"
I laugh. Boggs looks embarrassed and Finnick looks more like the guy I met at the Quarter Quell”

Suzanne Collins
“I raise my left arm and twist my neck down to rip off the pill on my sleeve. Instead my teeth sink into flesh. I yank my head back in confusion to find myself looking into Peeta’s eyes, only now they hold my gaze. Blood runs from the teeth marks on the hand he clamped over my nightlock.

“Let me go!” I snarl at him, trying to wrest my arm from his grasp.

“I can’t,” he says.”

“What about Gale?"
"He's not a bad kisser either," I say shortly.
"And it was okay with both of us? You kissing the other?" He asks.
"No. It wasn't okay with either of you. But I wasn't asking your permission," I tell him.
Peeta laughs again, coldly, dismissively. "Well, you're a piece of work, aren't you?”

Suzanne Collins
“I must have loved you a lot.”

Suzanne Collins
“Ally." Peeta says the words slowly, tasting it. "Friend. Lover. Victor. Enemy. Fiancee. Target. Mutt. Neighbor. Hunter. Tribute. Ally. I'll add it to the list of words I use to try to figure you out. The problem is, I can't tell what's real anymore, and what's made up.”

Suzanne Collins
“If I could grow wings, I could fly. Only people can't grow wings," he say's. "Real or not real?"
"Real," I say. "But people don't need wings to survive."
"Mockingjays do.”

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, my dear Miss Everdeen. I thought we had an agreement not to lie to each other.”

Suzanne Collins
“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.”

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love.”

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Suzanne Collins
“Some walks you have to take alone.”

Suzanne Collins
“I clench his hands to the point of pain. "Stay with me."
His pupils contract to pinpoints, dialate again rapidly, and then return to something resembling normalcy. "Always," he murmurs.”

Suzanne Collins
“Closing my eyes doesn't help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness.”

Suzanne Collins
“Sometimes when I'm alone, I take the pearl from where it lives in my pocket and try to remember the boy with the bread, the strong arms that warded off nightmares on the train, the kisses in the arena.”

Suzanne Collins
“Are you, are you coming to the tree?
Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me.
Strange things did happen here.
No stranger would let it be if we met up
At midnight in the hanging tree.”

Suzanne Collins
“She's not here," I tell him. Buttercup hisses again. "She's not here. You can hiss all you like. You won't find Prim." At her name, he perks up. Raises his flattened ears. Begins to meow hopefully. "Get out!" He dodges the pillow I throw at him. "Go away! There's nothing left for you here!" I start to shake, furious with him. "She's not coming back! She's never ever coming back here again!" I grab another pillow and get to my feet to improve my aim. Out of nowhere, the tears begin to pour down my cheeks. "She's dead, you stupid cat. She's dead.”

10/29/2011 page 26
7.0% "I'm terrified to death of this book... " 14 comments
10/30/2011 page 43
11.0% "“I’m going to be the Mockingjay.” *drumroll, please*" 1 comment
10/30/2011 page 67
17.0% "Oh, Cinna. *sobs*" 3 comments
10/31/2011 page 154
39.0% "“I knew you’d kiss me.” “How?” I say. Because I didn’t know myself. “Because I’m in pain,” he says. “That’s the only way I get your attention.” T.T"
10/31/2011 page 202
52.0% "Finnick and Annie are my current favorite couple from this series. Love these two!! <333"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly (Fantasy4eva) finished it? :)

Dija No not yet, Aly. Almost there, though. :D

Davon Sort of a let down isn't it?

Dija No, not at all! I actually ended up loving it, though a lot of my friends didn't. I'll read their reviews and see what they didn't like after I've finished writing my review. :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ These old quotes brought tears to my eyes.

Hira Samina ~ Escapism~ wrote: "These old quotes brought tears to my eyes."

Same with me, i got goosebumps reading them.

Tatiana It is a very affecting book. It's been over a year since I read Mockingjay and I am still scared of it @.@

Dija @Samina and Hira: That's why I added them. The book is filled with quotable passages, but those few truly left an impact. :)

@Tatiana: I know what you mean. This is definitely one of the series you keep thinking about long after finishing it. Will you be re-reading the series in time for the movie?

Tatiana Yes, most likely I will. Probably after watching the movie. Books are almost always better than movies, so I want to give this movie a chance by not reading the book right before.

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Good point. I'm not sure I will have recovered from this series by March, and there's a good chance I'll still remember most of the story, so I'm hoping I won't have to re-read the series anytime soon. Do you like the actors they've cast for the characters?

Tatiana I wasn't wild about the guys in the beginning, but I've grown to accept them. And I liked the actress cast as Katniss from the get-go. The most puzzling choice for me was Lenny Kravitz as Cena, but I am willing to go with it.

What about you?

Laura Love the Jensen picture! :) Love that man!
I am craving a re-read now!

message 13: by Dija (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Tatiana: I think Gale's actor is fitting, but I really really dislike Hutcherson for Peeta. He's nothing like I imagined Peeta. I'm slowly becoming used to the idea, but I still don't like it too much. And I love who they've cast for Katniss as well. The rest are okay, I'll have to see how well they act to decide whether or not they live up to their characters.

message 14: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Laura: Oh, is that who the actor is? I had no idea, but now I absolutely must google him! ;)

Arlene Awesome review!

message 16: by Jade (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jade Wow! Awesome review. You pretty much hit point for point about what I thought about this book/series. Thank you.

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Arlene: Thank you! :)

@Jade: Thanks. I'm so glad you agree. :D

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yeah I am not so keen on the actors myself.They will completely ruin my imagination.I will wait for the movies, if I hear good things then i will watch it or else I wont .

message 19: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Dee you have to send me a message telling me what happens in the book. I don't want to read the book but I'm curious :p

message 20: by Dija (last edited Nov 03, 2011 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Samina: That's precisely what I'm going to do as well. The reviews had better be off the charts for me to even consider replacing the perfect image of Peeta I have in my head with Hutcherson.

@Anzu: Noooo, you MUST read this book! I refuse to spoil it for you. And I'm sure you'll love it! It's much better than the second one.

message 21: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I really don't wanna read it :D I'll Google it then :p

I already know some stuff that ruined it for me. A b*tch (ex b*tch for that matter) from my friends - I won't give names - doesn't know what f*cking spoilers are so she wrote that (view spoiler) so the book is gone for me.

message 22: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Aw, shit!!! That's the main thing that made me love this book so much! I can't believe somebody did that to you. :( But you should still read it, lots of other things happen too! I'm serious, just give it a try.

message 23: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I really don't feel like it O.O

message 24: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I didn't either, at first, but it's a lot better than we were assuming at the end of CF.

message 25: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Hmmmmm ok I'll add it pffff :p

message 26: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Read at least 3 chapters, okay?

Samina ~ Escapism~ Thats what happened with me during Twilight.I read the books but after I had seen the trailors for the movie.SO my imagination kept bringing me back for Rob Patz for Edward.Ruin the sodding book for me.

message 28: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Why 3? She dies in chapter 3? =)))))

message 29: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija @Samina: I know what you mean. I think that happened to me with Harry Potter and other great and popular series like that. That's why I avoid spoilers like the plague. I just see the first word in the title of a book I'm supposed to read sometime soon, and I instantly skip that update/status/comment/etc. etc.

@Anzu: 3 chapters simply because it should give you an idea of what the book's gonna be like, and if you don't wanna continue after that, I promise I'll give you a detailed recap on what happens. :D

message 30: by Anzu (last edited Nov 04, 2011 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer Ok then Dee we have a deal! *shakes your hand*

I'll print this and make you sign it :p

message 31: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Nah, no need for that. I rarely make promises, but when I do, I always keep them. XD

message 32: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer I rarely drink tea, but when I do, your blood is in it

=))))))))) I couldn't help myself :p Too much time spent on Memebase

[image error]

It's really popular :))))

You can ignore me now O.O

message 33: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I might just do that. O_O

message 34: by Anzu (new) - rated it 1 star

Anzu The Great Destroyer O.O damn

Jessica B Beautiful review! It was like I re-lived the book all over again!!

message 36: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thank you so much, Jessica! I love this series. :(

Svetoslav Great review! Good to see that there are more people who "get it"! :P

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Where's That Donkey!

Victor Sanchez Agree completely

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Btw, did you see who's going to play Finnick? He's sooo hot!

Ronyell Awesome review Dija! This book made me a bit sad also.

message 42: by Feli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feli I agree and I appreciate your not cursing...

Feminista I am glad you liked it..

I was pretty disappointed with this one.

message 44: by Arfa (new) - rated it 4 stars