Simeon's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4184581
's review
Feb 25, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit
Read from November 24 to 30, 2011

This book is adorable, I’m not gonna lie.

Wealthy white teenagers having first-world problems.

Anna, the valiant, is plucked from Georgia and “abandoned” by her parents at a boarding school for rich American teens living in Paris, where she collapses into tears at the injustice of it all.

Intrigued? That's only the beginning of this incredible tale.



Sadly, my hopes for a dramatic twist of the Taken variety came to naught as the entire novel progressed without a single gun fight, kidnapping, or car chase, although at one point Anna's dream guy vomits on her.



In fact, every plot twist for Anna and the French Kiss seems to have been lifted directly from r/firstworldproblems.

Chapter 1) Girl meets boy (the plot thickens).

Chapter 2) Girl wants to order some delicious Parisian food, but does not speak French and is too embarrassed to ask for it in English even though everyone here speaks English.

Chapter 3) French is like such a hard language.



Chapter etc.) There’s some guy in Atlanta who wears skinny jeans below his bony arse, and she likes him soooooo much, but he doesn’t like her, and he screwed her best friend instead.




Almost immediately after landing in Paris and commencing to wallow, Anna “falls in love” with literally the first male she encounters, mainly because of his hair, which I imagine looks something like this:



If that weren’t enough, this irresistible man-creature of Anna's dreams also has an English accent, speaks French (omg omg omg), and is approximately five feet tall. Unfortunately though, he’s craven, and Anna’s a moron, so they spend the rest of the book awkwardly not touching each other’s genitals.

Ah, the plights of the teenager...




Seriously though, this book is cute, and unintentionally funny, and will make you feel well disposed towards the world.


The Good
Excellent description of culture shock on return to America.

The Bad
The characters are adorable, but ultimately retarded.

The Ugly
So much teen angst, so much crying, so much drama.
914 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

11/30/2011 page 350
94.0% 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-50 of 95) (95 new)


message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

LMAO

Why'd you even read this book?


Simeon Ala wrote: "LMAO

Why'd you even read this book?"


Haha. Because it's really popular. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about.


message 3: by V. (new) - rated it 5 stars

V. Arrow If you have never taken a class on media criticism -- and I'd venture that you haven't -- the first rule of critique is that you should judge within the same genre and for its intent and purpose. The genre of this book is YA contemp romance. Does it fulfill a romantic plotline without straying into age-inappropriate issues? Yes. It fulfills the genre criteria. The main audience of YA contemp romance: middle-class and upper-middle class English-speaking girls between 14-54. Does this book cohesively create a fictional construct that would reflect and be recognizable in their world? Yes. There is nothing wrong with a book about "first world problems" when the purpose and intent of the book is to be a romance for teenagers. Insofar as actual criticism, Anna and the French Kiss is tantamount to being a perfect example of its genre and fulfilling the purpose for its audience. So again the question begs: if you knew you would not like it, and did not know how to adequately and maturely review it after choosing to read something you were predisposed to disliking, why bother?


message 4: by Simeon (last edited Mar 12, 2012 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Simeon V. wrote: "The first rule of critique is that you should judge within the same genre and for its intent and purpose. The genre of this book is YA contemp romance."

Sure, but I never said that this adorable, shitty novel didn't meet the criteria for YA contemporary romance. You see, V, I don't think you're as pissed over the contents of my review as you are about the rating.

I mean, I can see your point. So what if this novel is shallow? So what if the main characters have the combined IQ of Justin Bieber? Those are, like, requirements for Contemporary Romance right? Or are they?

Who's being insulting to the genre here: me, for suggesting that we should expect a little more; or you, in willing to rate this five stars and announce it the best that Contemporary YA Romance has to offer...? Sad, really. I never thought I'd be defending this genre from its own airhead audience.


V. wrote: "It fulfills the genre criteria."

So... what? We should give it 5 stars because it meets the minimum requirements? And who says what those requirements are? I think the author, and the characters, are capable of more. I don't think this shit is good enough. It's entertaining, but it's also predictable, derivative, boring, formulaic, superficial, and demeaning.

Therefore, that you say it deserves 5 stars is an insult to young people everywhere. You're basically saying that this book represents the outer limits of a teenager's emotional scope; that this is the shit young people deserve to be reading. Well I disagree. I don't know about you, but I like my romance to have love in it, for example, of which this story has only the shallowest pretense.

And don't tell me that chick lit isn't capable of emotional depth.

I direct your attention towards books like:

Love, Rosie or Love Is the Drug or even If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend

See, non-shallow chick lit. It does exist.


V. wrote: "There is nothing wrong with a book about "first world problems""

Uh, hello, I never said there was. That's like my favorite subreddit!

Here, let me do a first world problem:

So, I wrote this review on goodreads, and someone wrote a negative comment, so now I must spend ten minutes defending an opinion I wasn't particularly attached to in the first place.

V. wrote: "when the purpose and intent of the book is to be a romance for teenagers."

Yes, and teenagers are capable of love. You're the one saying they're not. Stop being mean to teenagers. Who shat in your breakfast cereal?

V. wrote: "Insofar as actual criticism, Anna and the French Kiss is tantamount to being a perfect example of its genre."

Hang on, when did superficiality become tantamount to an entire genre?

And for the record, I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it 2 stars out of 5.

Get off my balls.


message 5: by The Holy Terror (last edited Dec 03, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

The Holy Terror V. wrote: "So again the question begs: if you knew you would not like it, and did not know how to adequately and maturely review it after choosing to read something you were predisposed to disliking, why bother? "

The same could be said about you reading a 2-star review for a book you obviously love. If you knew you wouldn't agree with his review and were predisposed to disliking a negative opinion, why bother?


message 6: by Apatt (new)

Apatt Interesting! Doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd read.


message 7: by karen (new)

karen awww - v., i thought we had something special! but i guess you go around town whining on all the reviews for bland and inoffensive YA books that people think could have been better. sigh. too good to be true.


message 8: by sheecka (new)

sheecka I think this review is cool... apparently it's cool enough to loss my interest in reading this book... every time I want to buy eBooks I always check the reviews and I always check for the down sides of the books... and when I find one.. I losses my interest so I thank for those reviews that tells the downfall of the story….
It save me lot of time (being waste on reading something that I probably wouldn’t enjoy reading) and money (which I can spend on something much worth it, something that doesn’t have a negative comment)
Yeah.. yeah.. I know its crap but hey... it’s my WAY…
Keep it dude it’s cool…
And hey... every one has title for their own opinions… that’s why we got goodreads to share our opinions on the books we reads… so if somebody doesn’t like your comment.. WTH! It’s your opinion that you wrote… duh! Those people who don’t accept your OWN opinions are pathetic…


Megan I'm just in love with this review, that's all. Carry on.


Mandy This review literally made me laugh out loud....at work. Oops! 5 stars to the review!


message 11: by Tori (new)

Tori Even I admit that I fall in the target demographic for this book, and I can tell by the review that I would have been terribly bored and disappointed reading it. I think its totally necessary to review crap YA books like this because (one of my first world problems) I have to go to the store and wade through this kind of stuff to find the good ones. So thank you :)


message 12: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Simeon, I loved your speech! We need more people like you on goodreads! :D


message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim A most amusing review.


message 14: by Simeon (last edited May 21, 2012 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Simeon Tamara wrote: "Apparently V. has a boilerplate attack for reviews she disagrees with. (Thanks for the thoughtful, amusing comments.)"

Yup, I saw that. Fun times.


Cristina This is perfect!


message 16: by Diana (new) - rated it 1 star

Diana Welsch This book: God no. This review: YES.


Karen Most accurate review that could have possibly been written about this book. Excellent work.


message 18: by Sandovita (new) - added it

Sandovita lol!! just because of your review I'm gonna read it XD


message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Vasquez LMFAO!!!! this was one of the funnest reviews I have ever seen. I loved the pics!!!!


Simeon Hey, thanks. :D


message 21: by Deejay (new)

Deejay Such an entertaining review. And I couldn't agree with you more!


Ashley +! for "they spend the rest of the book awkwardly not touching each other’s genitals." I adored this book and think it deserves more than 2 stars, but your review was still hilarious to read.


message 23: by Steph (new)

Steph Your review just saved me from reading a book i would have forced myself to finish because i had to read the ending. Thank you!


Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩ When i am looking for new books to read i love reading some of people's comments and i just want to say thank you....it was very funny and colorful i laughed like an idiot for good 10 mins! (personal fave- my foot itches....xD)


message 25: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Hilarious review, and I'd bet better than the book


Simeon You guys are awesome.


message 27: by Rosa Lee (new)

Rosa Lee Mullins Hey, thanks for the review. As I read the book, I imagine all those pictures you posted, especially the one showing St. Clair's hair, which makes the story even more funny. I also think it deserves 2 stars because the plot and the characters are so predictable and typical.


message 28: by Scott-robert (new)

Scott-robert Shenkman I don't think I even want to read this book (because I'm a guy and even seeing the pictures lowers my testosterone levels), but this and the previous review made me laugh so hard I spit Grey Goose on my laptop screen (maybe I just shouldn't type when I drink vodka).


Aisha I like your review, it was funny. I kept on hearing about this book and thought it was going to be a book that I love. I like it. I like the fact the boy was shorter than the girl. I don't read many books where that happens. I don't see me re reading this book.


Sonia ღ Excellent review :)


Melrose I don't understand how being forced to go to school in Paris is just a "first world problem". How would you feel if you had to leave all you friends and go to some foreign country where you don't know ANYBODY. I think I would cry too. But according to you she is just being a baby about it. LOL.


Pearl HAHAHA! This is so funny. I was about to write a review... But yeah, you described most of them very well. But'd be willing to give it a 2.5 though. :)


Narcissa Malfoy You should become a book critique. :3 I can just imagine your quotes on the back of books. :p <3


message 34: by Maddison (new)

Maddison I hear good things about this book but is it actually


Narcissa Malfoy Maddison wrote: "I hear good things about this book but is it actually" If you like any kind of contemporary fiction, then yes but it's definitely no John Green novel.{I personally didn't enjoy it}.


message 36: by Maddison (new)

Maddison Narcissa wrote: "Maddison wrote: "I hear good things about this book but is it actually" If you like any kind of contemporary fiction, then yes but it's definitely no John Green novel.{I personally didn't enjoy it}."

good to know I think i'll give this one a miss


message 37: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige There are people down in this "Southern Lump" who would prefer to not be considered basically, nobodies.. I just want to read the reviews without being unintentionally insulted, please. .__.


Allyson Best review ever lol. Cute book, but I agree 100% with your opinion.


message 39: by Ana Karina (new)

Ana Karina Gourmeitte omg this review made me laugh so loud I think i woke up the whole building... Im not gonna read the book, but man, the review made it worth while to just read the summary...


message 40: by Maddison (new)

Maddison Simeon wrote: "Ala wrote: "LMAO

Why'd you even read this book?"

Haha. Because it's really popular. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about."


I personally just avoid those books like the Plauge


message 41: by Jessica (last edited Jun 28, 2013 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jessica Yang When I first looked at this book, I was so sure I was not going to read it because it is books like these I hate, but because of the hype, I decided I would give it a try. HOWEVER, I was looking at your comment and I WAS DYING OF LAUGHTER without even reading the book and I have decided to just not read it because your comment has make me sure that it would be a waste of my time. YOU ARE AMAZING AND THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY DAY.


message 42: by Maddison (new)

Maddison thank you for being full of laughter


message 43: by Ava (new) - added it

Ava I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THIS REVIEW THANK YOU


message 44: by Cat (new)

Cat Saved me


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

so funny :D


Angela OMG, I am dying. I first read this review and nearly fell out off my couch laughing. Then, I read it the book. And it was cute. I must admit. But I think I just popped a kidney re-reading this review. I am in tears right now reading this. I completely lost it at St. Clair's hair. LMAO This review deserves an award.


message 47: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz First world problems indeed. I think the author took it a bit too far with Anna. Considering I had a friend in a similar situation she wasn't that upset. However, replace Switzerland with France and that would be my friend (except her parent's and family did come with her since her father got an assignment there).


Monica omg finnaly someone understands me. loved your review


message 49: by Joeyoleary (new)

Joeyoleary Hilarious review. The pictures cracked me up. Keep up the excellent work!


Julie Tuazon I wish I read your review before reading this bloody book! :))


« previous 1
back to top