Bogdan Gavriliuc's Reviews > Dragon Champion

Dragon Champion by E.E. Knight

Nov 05, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from October 31 to November 05, 2011

I would have given it five stars, but at times i found the descriptions difficult to follow along. It's the writing style that was odd for me. And there were a few scenes i felt deserved more importance, but were over-looked. Either that or my brain was fried from exams, now for the good stuff.

The story-line was very compelling. There were many, many interesting and well played scenes. The characters are each important in their own right.

I especially loved AuRon's development. The way he thinks changes as the book progresses, not only due to the fact that he's no longer a lizard sized hatchling, but because of the friends he's met and lost. I might be biased with this book because I absolutely LOVE dragons, and I liked the descriptive anatomy that progressed through the book (the fire-breathing, the wing development, the fact that they have two hearts, etc).

My biggest issue through the book, was probably my own fault. I had a hard time visualizing AuRon while he was young (which is for the first 2 thirds of the book) because I had a hard time remembering his size/scale, or I kept confusing him with the dragon from "How to train your dragon". I blame this more on my own mind than on the author's narration.

The narrative kept teasing at Wistala, his lost sister, whom we never see after she escapes the first raid on their home cave, which I guess must've been a ploy to encourage for the second book. And it worked on me.

O screw it I love dragons, 5 stars :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Champion.

10/31/2011 page 13
11/05/2011 page 193
50.0% "My biggest issue so far is visualizing the dragon, Im not used to it and scale gets messed up in my head a lot of the time. But otherwise the book's got some really cool scenes :)"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex I agree , I thought this book was extremely well written. Usually i dont like coming of age storys but this one was one of my favorite. It tells the coming of age not as a sad girl who has no friends story but a dragon story! And not just any dragon , a special dragon one who dosent have scales but has more of a stealthy fix to him. It was so good that i almost forgot it was a coming of age story. Also each scene seemed to me to take a little longer so i got a little bored sometimes but over all a very good book.