Penelope's Reviews > Scheherazade: Comics About Love, Treachery, Mothers, and Monsters

Scheherazade by Megan Kelso

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: fall-11, graphic-novels, feminism-gender-studies
Read from October 29 to 31, 2011

I know anthologies are always a mixed bag. This one was just...not good. I'm tempted to give it one star but my love of the concept prevents me from doing so. I apparently haven't accepted that the potential of this collection and the reality of it just don't match up--not even close.

The production values are low. I don't know why they just had to choose purple as the color for everything to be printed. It feels unnatural for most of the stories. Contrast and color saturation are also issues for a few of the stories, which are printed so poorly that they look like they've been badly xeroxed a few too many times.

As for the stories themselves, I was surprised by how many stories I didn't like. Most of them end abruptly--I'm not sure if it's because they're part of a longer narrative or if the editor just happens to enjoy comics that end without any closure. I personally do not, so that really got on my nerves, especially once I realized that about 3/4 of the stories end that way. Others just didn't make much sense to me at all, such as "The Real Anna" and "Olivia."

Overall, I'd say you should just pass on this collection. It's poorly presented and the selections don't do justice to the great work being done by women in the comics world right now. Hopefully someone else will take this idea and do it better next time?
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scheherazade.

10/29/2011 page 61
27.0% "Feeling a little "meh" about this collection so far. The choice of purple as the monochromatic color scheme seems odd and unnatural for most of these stories. Also, the production values here are LOW. Paper feels cheap, printing looks cheap. It's unfortunate. Hoping that the quality of the stories themselves makes up for it."