Jessica Johnson's Reviews > Darkness Rising

Darkness Rising by Keri Arthur

Jan 12, 12

Read from January 04 to 08, 2012

Goodreads Description:

Risa will go to any lengths to avenge her mother’s murder—even if it means making a pact with the most evil vampire she’s ever met. Lethal and powerful, Madeline Hunter is leader of the vampire council, and will put her resources behind finding the killer—for a price. The venerable vampire requires the assistance of Risa’s psychic powers. Quid pro quo.

Someone—or something—is targeting the elders of the local council, cursing the immortal vampires to rapidly age, sink into madness, and die. Risa must track down the vengeful being responsible. But Risa’s father, a rogue Aedh priest, also enlists her in a dangerous mission. And not even the great Madeline Hunter may be able to protect her from the shadowy forces that desire nothing less than Risa’s destruction.

Why I picked it.

I started reading Keri Arthur's books in 2009. I read the entire Riley Jenson series and I loved them. Riley is, to this very day, one of my favorite all time heroines. She kicks so much a** it's unbelievable. Not only that but she has Quinn. Quinn is hot. ;-)

This series is like a continuation of the series with Risa. I fell in love with Risa in Riley's story when she was little. I love hearing about her story and seeing her grow.

What did I think about this book?

I loved it. The world that Keri creates is so out of this world. Everything is so unbelievable.

Risa is an amazing heroine. She really shows off her powers in this book. But I have a feeling that Keri's giving me a taste. I can't wait to see what else Risa can do. She has such a great personality. I love her sarcasm and snark. She makes me laugh.

There is plenty of action and craziness in this book. It's non stop. Risa has mad skills. The whole story is a guessing game. Everyone is a suspect in some sense. You never know who to trust. That's the name of the game ;-). Keri keeps you guessing with every twist and turn. This series can go any which way and I love that. Books that are predicatble are boring. This series is anything but predictable. What, with all the action, and guy hotness...I couldn't put this down.

Now....the guy hotness.....

Lucien sounds perfectly yummy. Although a bit secretive. But still hot. Turquoise eyes and golden hair....yes please.

Azriel sounds yummy as well. In a completely different way. He is secretive as well but still hot. Blue eyes (one a different shade than the other) and dark hair....very mysterious. Who dislikes mystery? ;-)

All and all I think this series is a total hit. I can't wait for the next installment and can't wait to see what else Risa can do. I also can't wait to see what happens with.....who knows? I don't want to reveal too much.

Now for some yummy quotes ;-)

"There are some on the high council who think it would be better for us if you were dead. I am trying to convince them that you might be useful for more than just finding the keys." I swallowed heavily. "So this is a test?"

"And you had better pass if you value your life." -Pg. 32

"Are you ready?" he asked, his gaze steady on mine. I licked suddenly dry lips, and yet I didn't know what it was I feared. I knew he wouldn't hurt me because he still needed me to complete his mission. "I would never hurt you, mission or not." He raised his hands, lightly cupping my cheeks. -Pg 188

If this doesn't spark your interest, then I don't know what will. Email me and we'll talk ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Rising.